The Official RONR Q & A Forums

An Odd Quorum?

Guest Bruce

Does the following bylaws statement seem odd?  If special meetings of the association may be called by written notice of 11 Association meetings, why should a quorum for such meetings be dependent on a quorum containing only Board members?

"A Quorum. At any meeting of the Association, a majority of the Board members will constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.  In the absence of a quorum, the members present must adjourn the meeting to a later date, but notice of such adjourned meeting will be given in a manner prescribed in the preceding section for a special meeting."

The Board could effectively nullify a specially called meeting by the Association members simply by not showing up.

Unfortunately, we've seen this before.

You might want to amend your bylaws.

[but note that, in the absence of a quorum, the meeting wouldn't be "nullified". It's just that nothing substantive could be done at the inquorate meeting.]

Yup.  A couple years ago, before I joined the old aristocracy changed this from "thirteen members" to "a majority of the Board"

This is the same crew that has been running the organization that I referenced in the  post I made a little while ago about not enough Board members.

Does the following bylaws statement seem odd?  If special meetings of the association may be called by written notice of 11 Association meetings, why should a quorum for such meetings be dependent on a quorum containing only Board members?

"A Quorum. At any meeting of the Association, a majority of the Board members will constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.  In the absence of a quorum, the members present must adjourn the meeting to a later date, but notice of such adjourned meeting will be given in a manner prescribed in the preceding section for a special meeting."

The Board could effectively nullify a specially called meeting by the Association members simply by not showing up.

Yes, it is very odd (but not unheard of). I concur that there is no logical reason for the quorum for meetings of the association to be based on the number of board members present and that such a rule could have unfortunate consequences. It seems it would be prudent to amend the bylaws to fix this problem.

Archived