The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proper notation of corrections in minutes

Jason H

When corrections are offered and accepted with respect to the minutes, are the changes made as additional notations, or is the original text changed and/or deleted (leaving no record of the former version?)

What I mean to say is, if the grammar or spelling is corrected, or a sentence is removed, do the minutes retain the original text as a means to illustrate the changes? (For instance, the incorrect grammar is still intact, but a notation is made? Or the original sentence remains, but it is crossed out?)

I understand that items that have been expunged from the minutes are not removed, but they are crossed out and a notation is made. But, I also thought I had read that all corrections were made on top of the original draft of the minutes (possibly in the margins.)

I wasn't sure how standard corrections were annotated, because it would seem that if expunging the minutes fails to delete parts of the document (seemingly a more extreme act) then deleting parts of the minutes during standard corrections appears counter intuitive to me.

Thanks!

JH

Yes thank you for the reference. I did read that FAQ before I posted my inquiry.

But, with respect to this sentence:

"If corrections to minutes are made at the time when those minutes are originally submitted for approval, such corrections are made in the text of the minutes being approved"

I would like to know what "in the text of the minutes" specifically means.

Does it mean that corrections are made as additional notations in the margins (and the original text is left intact) or does it mean that the actual original text is modified (meaning things are removed and never seen again.)

I apologize if my original question wasn't clear, or I'm missing the obvious meaning of "in the text of the minutes".

Thanks!

Yes thank you for the reference. I did read that FAQ before I posted my inquiry.

But, with respect to this sentence:

"If corrections to minutes are made at the time when those minutes are originally submitted for approval, such corrections are made in the text of the minutes being approved"

I would like to know what "in the text of the minutes" specifically means.

Does it mean that corrections are made as additional notations in the margins (and the original text is left intact) or does it mean that the actual original text is modified (meaning things are removed and never seen again.)

I apologize if my original question wasn't clear, or I'm missing the obvious meaning of "in the text of the minutes".

Thanks!

It means that the version that appears in the minute book should be the corrected version, and that the secretary's draft is no longer relevant. How the corrections appear will depend on how the final version of the minutes is prepared. The secretary could file his original copy with the corrections marked (in which case one might be able to see what the corrections were), or he could create a clean copy and file that one.

It means that the version that appears in the minute book should be the corrected version, and that the secretary's draft is no longer relevant. How the corrections appear will depend on how the final version of the minutes is prepared. The secretary could file his original copy with the corrections marked (in which case one might be able to see what the corrections were), or he could create a clean copy and file that one.

Ah I see. So the answer to my question is: whatever the secretary decides to do. (In the absence of any other rules or ruling, of course.)

Would I be correct in assuming that any corrections made outside of the "time when those minutes are originally submitted for approval" must be made on top of, or in conjunction with the version being corrected? (Creating what you referred to as "a clean copy" would no longer be an option?)

Thanks, I now see why I was confused....it appears there are two possibilities and I was under the impression that there was only one.

Would I be correct in assuming that any corrections made outside of the "time when those minutes are originally submitted for approval" must be made on top of, or in conjunction with the version being corrected? (Creating what you referred to as "a clean copy" would no longer be an option?)

Corrections made after the minutes have been approved represent the adoption of a new main motion, and the text of that motion becomes the record of the assembly's decision and is entered into the minutes of the meeting at which the correction is adopted. When this is done, however, the original record should not be destroyed, since it is a correct statement of what the assembly previously approved as its minutes. In other words, it is a correct statement of what happened at the meeting at which those minutes were previously approved.

I wasn't sure how standard corrections were annotated, because it would seem that if expunging the minutes fails to delete parts of the document (seemingly a more extreme act) then deleting parts of the minutes during standard corrections appears counter intuitive to me.

I don't think it's counterintuitive at all. The purposes of these two things are completely different. Expunging a motion is used when the motion was adopted, belongs in the minutes, and is accurately recorded, but the assembly strongly disapproves of the motion. Deleting something from the minutes with a correction is used when that portion of the minutes didn't actually happen, didn't belong in the minutes, or wasn't accurately recorded.

Deleting something from the minutes with a correction is used when that portion of the minutes didn't actually happen, didn't belong in the minutes, or wasn't accurately recorded.

But such deletions can only be made to unapproved minutes (or immediately after approval when preparing a "clean" copy after corrections are made). Once the corrected minutes are in the minutes book, they're carved in stone. Any further changes can only be referenced in the margins.

At least that's my understanding based on previous discussions.

Archived