The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What is the protocol assigning leadership at a meeting

Guest Amy

Our organization holds grade level meetings once a year and general meeting the rest of the year.  In the past, the assignment of running these meetings has been assigned to a board member. However, our new president is considering assigning this to a Membership committee member which doesn't seem to be the right choice, but I cannot find anything in RONR to support.  

Nothing defined.. except for meeting notices, special meetings, number of meeting

For Regular meetings, those matters which the Board of Directors, at the time the notice is given, intends to present for action by the members, but any proper matter may be presented for action except as provided in paragraph (3) below. 

The president cannot attend all the meetings. 

In the absence of the president, the vice-president presides. If both are absent, the secretary (or any member if the secretary is also absent) calls the meeting to order and conducts a brief "election" for a chair pro tem (a temporary presiding officer).

It is not unusual in a situation where the chairman knows that both he and the vice president will be absent for the chairman to ask in advance if someone will preside at that meeting and to suggest (perhaps  to the secretary) that the person he selected be allowed to preside (be elected chairman pro tem).  If there is no objection, then that person will preside.  If there is an objection, the assembly must elect someone by majority vote.

Our organization holds grade level meetings once a year and general meeting the rest of the year. In the past, the assignment of running these meetings has been assigned to a board member. However, our new president is considering assigning this to a Membership committee member which doesn't seem to be the right choice, but I cannot find anything in RONR to support.

I don't see a problem. The assembly will make the final decision, and it can elect whoever it pleases as presiding officer.

In the absence of the president, the vice-president presides. If both are absent, the secretary (or any member if the secretary is also absent) calls the meeting to order and conducts a brief "election" for a chair pro tem (a temporary presiding officer).

I'm not sure the grade levels and the general meeting are the same assembly. The officers of the association may or may not be the officers of the grade levels.

It is not unusual in a situation where the chairman knows that both he and the vice president will be absent for the chairman to ask in advance if someone will preside at that meeting and to suggest (perhaps  to the secretary) that the person he selected be allowed to preside (be elected chairman pro tem).  If there is no objection, then that person will preside.  If there is an objection, the assembly must elect someone by majority vote.

I'm not clear how this would work and the book says he can't choose someone in advance.  All I can see here is the assembly feeling there obligated to accept his choice, since most don't handle processing unanimous consent requests very well.   He should simply be nominated, just like anyone else.

I'm not clear how this would work and the book says he can't choose someone in advance.  All I can see here is the assembly feeling there obligated to accept his choice, since most don't handle processing unanimous consent requests very well.   He should simply be nominated, just like anyone else.

Perhaps, but the president offering a suggestion on who shall preside is fairly common practice.  Since it's only a suggestion, there is no rule against it.

But on the matter of grade-level meetings, this sounds very much like subsets of the entire assembly that are more or less in the nature of committees.  In that case it might be well to appoint chairmen of each, 

Archived