The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording Movers in Minutes

Guest Christine Guest

Guest Christine Guest

I have a question about meeting minutes and specifically, on recording the names of movers.

Robert's Rules states: "The name of the maker of a main motion should be entered in the minutes, but the name of the seconder should not be entered unless ordered by the assembly." Is this rule intended to be permissive - meaning that, organizations may choose not to record the name of a mover within their minutes (e.g., because that's the way they've done this traditionally or they just choose not to, etc.).

What goes into the minutes is ultimately under the control of  the organization.  It can decide what goes into the minutes and what stays out.  The rules.... and guidelines in RONR..... should be followed unless the society has adopted a special rule to the contrary or decides, during the reading and approval of the minutes, to have something inserted into or removed from or changed in the draft minutes.

Just as with most other rules in RONR, they can be superseded by special rules of order adopted by the society.

I have a question about meeting minutes and specifically, on recording the names of movers.

Robert's Rules states: "The name of the maker of a main motion should be entered in the minutes, but the name of the seconder should not be entered unless ordered by the assembly." Is this rule intended to be permissive - meaning that, organizations may choose not to record the name of a mover within their minutes (e.g., because that's the way they've done this traditionally or they just choose not to, etc.).

In my opinion, never recording the name of the maker of a main motion requires a special rule of order adopted by the assembly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christine Guest

Thanks for highlighting that. Perhaps I should have phrased my question - do you think such a change could be considered a standing rule? There are requirements for previous notice for a special rule of order, which I think may be a bit much for such a small change. And, standing orders seem to be administrative details, which may be more in line with the format of minutes (of course, keeping in mind that minutes are official documents and are important).

Perhaps I should have phrased my question - do you think such a change could be considered a standing rule?

No.

There are requirements for previous notice for a special rule of order, which I think may be a bit much for such a small change. And, standing orders seem to be administrative details, which may be more in line with the format of minutes (of course, keeping in mind that minutes are official documents and are important).

I completely agree that a rule pertaining to the format of minutes is in the nature of a standing rule, but a rule pertaining to the content of minutes (which is what this is) is in the nature of a special rule of order. Rules of order "relate to the orderly transaction of business in meetings and to the duties of officers in that connection" (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 15, emphasis added). Rules regarding the content of minutes relate to the Secretary's duties in connection with the transaction of business in meetings.

Christine,  Mr. Martin is correct:  such a rule would definitely be in the nature of a rule of order.  However, if your organization insists on calling it a standing rule rather than a special rule of order, I would not expect any major changes in the earth's stability or temperature to occur as a result.  There are, however, different rules for suspending and amending special rules of order and standing rules.  If you want to do it the right way, make it a special rule of order.  Once you start getting sloppy with things, they usually just get more and more sloppy.  Or sloppier.  And slippery.

Archived