The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can there be "comments" added on a Special Meeting at the bottom of the agenda?

Guest James

Sounds like "debate" coming in via the back door.  Debate should take place AT the meeting, after the appropriate motion is offered (p. 34), not in some semi-official document published by the association.

Of course proponents are free to generate as much paper arguing for their position as they wish, but not as "association documents".

I think it might be wise to learn a bit more about this organization and its procedures before recommending that it do away with a "comments" period.   It is quite customary, for example, for public bodies to have a public comment period on their agendas for comments from the public.  Homeowner associations also often have a period for comments by regular members (property owners) at their board meetings.     But, those are exceptions.   Normally, the time for comments is during debate.

Ah...  I took the original poster's question to mean that the printed agenda contained actual text as part of the agenda document, text that "commented" upon some piece of business that was coming up for discussion.

But in the manner Rich Brown read the question, a "comments" section in the order of business is fine  --  RONR calls such a period during a meeting "good of the order" - p. 362.

Ah...  I took the original poster's question to mean that the printed agenda contained actual text as part of the agenda document, text that "commented" upon some piece of business that was coming up for discussion.

But in the manner Rich Brown read the question, a "comments" section in the order of business is fine  --  RONR calls such a period during a meeting "good of the order" - p. 362.

And I had not looked at it the way John did!!   Maybe it would help if guest James explains to us what he means by adding comments to the bottom of the agenda.  :-)

Edited to add:  I suppose one could question whether a "good of the order" section on an agenda would be appropriate at a special meeting. . . . .   But, I think if it's for discussion and comments only, and no substantive action, it would be permissible.

Archived