The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Union Constitution & By-Laws

Guest Matt

Our teacher union has Constitution & By-Laws that we follow (I say that loosely)

It spells out our election process for our Union Reps. So the building I am in, they ran the nominations/election according to the by-laws. They were done and awaiting our May meeting to take new seats.

Now our Co- Presidents are telling us that we need to redo, since there was a problem in other buildings. They are now claiming that way these elections were run go against affiliation standards. So I guess my question is, do we have to now update them according to the procedures outlined in our by-laws or do they have to be automatically changed? should they provide a copy of the affiliation standards?

Our teacher union has Constitution & By-Laws that we follow (I say that loosely)

It spells out our election process for our Union Reps. So the building I am in, they ran the nominations/election according to the by-laws. They were done and awaiting our May meeting to take new seats.

Now our Co- Presidents are telling us that we need to redo, since there was a problem in other buildings. They are now claiming that way these elections were run go against affiliation standards. So I guess my question is, do we have to now update them according to the procedures outlined in our by-laws or do they have to be automatically changed? should they provide a copy of the affiliation standards?

If I understand this correctly, the election procedures in the union's bylaws are in conflict with clearly requisite points in the rules of the parent organization. If this is correct, the rules in the bylaws will need to be amended to comply with the rules of the parent organization - it's not automatic. The superior rules are, however, binding in any event, and those rules must be followed even if the bylaws have not yet been updated to be in compliance. It certainly seems desirable to have a copy of the rules in question.

Thank you so much Josh Martin. Sometimes I think that our presidents try to do their own thing and I try to play it that its the right way. Knowing them by now, I like to refer here with my questions (not always the best explaination, but someone always understands). Always a help!!

If I understand this correctly, the election procedures in the union's bylaws are in conflict with clearly requisite points in the rules of the parent organization. If this is correct, the rules in the bylaws will need to be amended to comply with the rules of the parent organization - it's not automatic. The superior rules are, however, binding in any event, and those rules must be followed even if the bylaws have not yet been updated to be in compliance. It certainly seems desirable to have a copy of the rules in question.

So.......These amendments should still be changed in accordance to the procedures set in our Constitution & By-Laws? Correct?

Archived