The Official RONR Q & A Forums

adopting an article to standing rules

Guest Sue

We recently adopted an article at our convention to add to our standing rules effective July 1, 2016.  Do we update the current standing rules for our members with an addendum of this article and state that it is effective July 1, 2016?

Do we update the current standing rules for our members with an addendum of this article and state that it is effective July 1, 2016?

What if, between now and July 1, 2016, the new rule is rescinded (or otherwise amended). I think it's probably best if copies of the standing rules include only those rules that are actually in effect. But, as Mr. Stackpole observed, it's up to your organization.

We recently adopted an article at our convention to add to our standing rules effective July 1, 2016.  Do we update the current standing rules for our members with an addendum of this article and state that it is effective July 1, 2016?

I would update the document.  This isn't so dissimilar from a bylaw change with a proviso attached, in that, the rule is part of the bylaws immediately even though it's not taking effect until later.

So my view of it is the rule is part of the standing rules, it's just that it won't be enforced until the time specified in the proviso.

Archived