The Official RONR Q & A Forums

addressing actions that our null and void

bobby101

I have addressed this problem several times within this forum but don't think I've addressed this specific aspect. Briefly, our board of directors has violated our Club's by-laws several times over the past couple of years. The facts against them are clear, compelling and irrefutable. In my appeal hearing, I made the point clearly to the board that actions taken--and sanctions imposed-- in violation of the Club's by-laws are null and void and can put the Club and its membership at severe legal risk if the board ignores this point. The board has done nothing to respond to this issue. What are the appropriate steps per RONR to get the board to respond to this situation?  We're near the point where I may have to attempt to call a special membership meeting to notify the members of the board's inappropriate actions; I'd like to avoid this because past meetings have caused significant ill feelings within the membership. Thank you.

I have addressed this problem several times within this forum but don't think I've addressed this specific aspect. Briefly, our board of directors has violated our Club's by-laws several times over the past couple of years. The facts against them are clear, compelling and irrefutable. In my appeal hearing, I made the point clearly to the board that actions taken--and sanctions imposed-- in violation of the Club's by-laws are null and void and can put the Club and its membership at severe legal risk if the board ignores this point. The board has done nothing to respond to this issue. What are the appropriate steps per RONR to get the board to respond to this situation?  We're near the point where I may have to attempt to call a special membership meeting to notify the members of the board's inappropriate actions; I'd like to avoid this because past meetings have caused significant ill feelings within the membership.

You've been trying to get the board to respond to this situation for almost two years now. I imagine we've already said everything there is to say on the subject. For example, see here, here, here, and here.

The board clearly isn't going to address these issues voluntarily, and you don't have the authority to force them to do so on your own. It's time to bring this to the membership or give up.

Thank you both for your responses. As usual, Josh, you're right on the money with your recall,  observations, and advice. I'll probably have to go the special membership meeting route, reluctantly because of how I anticipate the club will react. And, it'll be three years in September. Thank you,

Archived