The Official RONR Q & A Forums

2/3 majority and officers

Guest Julia

What happens if 2 people on the ballot for an office get no votes? We had 2 people get nominated (they nominated each other) for president and one voted for one of them for that office. We have a bylaw that says the winner must win by a 2/3 majority. There were 30 people in attendance.

What happens if 2 people on the ballot for an office get no votes? We had 2 people get nominated (they nominated each other) for president and one voted for one of them for that office. We have a bylaw that says the winner must win by a 2/3 majority. There were 30 people in attendance.

I'm not entirely clear on the facts, since some of your statements appear to be in conflict. You at first ask what happens if the candidates get no votes, however, you then state that one of the candidates voted for the other, which would suggest that candidate received at least one vote.

I would note that only votes for a person are included when counting the votes. Blank ballots and votes for "no" or "none of the above" are not counted. A vote of 1-0, for instance, is a 2/3 vote. If no candidate received a 2/3 vote, for whatever reason, another round of balloting would be held, and so on and so forth until one candidate is elected.

Your society may also wish to think about amending the rule which requires a 2/3 vote for elections. In my experience, the traditional majority vote requirement makes contested elections lengthy enough already.

Archived