The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President acting out of order

Guest Tova

What if there is a legal election(AGM) and the president suspends the board a few days later stating that the executive was in noncompliance of society act, the president wont meet with the newly elected board, is trying to not allow the board to have an executive meeting.  The president has stated that he is relieving the executive of their duties and has called a special general meeting with all members. He has stated that there will be no meetings or board business until after this general meeting.  I think he is trying to say the AGM was null and void(he was chairing the AGM).  As VP I am calling a meeting of the board, our P & P states that 3 executive members can hold an executive meeting and quorum is 7.He keeps telling us that we cannot hold a meeting of the executive. If we have quorum and 75% of the majority vote can we remove the presdent?  .This is an extreme case of a president acting out of order and I am looking for some advice, thanks!

Do your rules (or some superior rule or law) give your president the authority to do what he thinks he's done? It certainly seems unlikely.

If you think you need a new president, see FAQ #20. The board might not be able to remove the president from office but the general membership almost certainly can.

Edited to add: Check back later for other replies. Weekends tend to be slow here as many of the regulars are out on their yachts.

Archived