The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Duration of a motion?

Guest NealC

Question came up in our Lodge meeting last night relating to Motions & Standing Rules.

I'm still looking through Roberts Rules of Order, but thought you might have a comment.

The question relates to the age of a motion approved  by the Lodge. In this case, a motion was approved by membership two years ago. 

The discussion centered on whether the motion was still valid today, with the argument that:

• this should either have been made as a 'Standing Rule', which would be reviewed and approved annually, or; 
  • that this would need to have been written into Lodge Bylaws.
As an aside, it would be helpful if someone could provide definition on 'Standing Rules' - the belief is that these need to be raised and approved by membership on an annual basis, soon after officer elections.

Appreciate your comments as always!

Question came up in our Lodge meeting last night relating to Motions & Standing Rules.

I'm still looking through Roberts Rules of Order, but thought you might have a comment.

The question relates to the age of a motion approved by the Lodge. In this case, a motion was approved by membership two years ago.

The discussion centered on whether the motion was still valid today, with the argument that:

• this should either have been made as a 'Standing Rule', which would be reviewed and approved annually, or;
  • that this would need to have been written into Lodge Bylaws.
As an aside, it would be helpful if someone could provide definition on 'Standing Rules' - the belief is that these need to be raised and approved by membership on an annual basis, soon after officer elections.

Appreciate your comments as always!

Standing rules are rules related to administrative details rather than to parliamentary procedure. There is no need to approve such rules on an annual basis. If a standing rule is adopted, it has continuing effect until it is rescinded, unless the rule provides otherwise. Additionally, a standing rule does not need to be specifically labeled as such in order to be effective.

I haven't the slightest idea what the rule is about, so I don't know what sort of rule this is (or should be). It seems to me, however, that if the rule was valid when it was adopted, it remains valid today. RONR does not place any "expiration date" on motions.

Archived