The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When is use of an Elections Committee proper?

Guest Melissa

Hello, I am a rather new parliamentarian (not credentialed yet) and I have a question about when it is proper to use an Elections Committee.

Our local organization's policies (bylaws are at the national organization level) state that the Elections Committee "shall be appointed by the organization's president no later than the announcement of the slate of officers.  The committee shall be comprised of a chair and 6 members who are responsible for ensuring a successful election according to the policies of this body and RONR, 11th edition."

Our local organization's polices go on to specify, in another section of the document, "Election Procedures."  That section discusses the balloting process (how it must be conducted).

Our local president has been operating under the presumption that the Elections Committee can also be used when the local organization's policies are to be amended.  To amend our local policies, all that is required is 30 days prior notice of a proposed vote to change the policies, and 2/3 of the members of the local organization present and voting.  No written or secret ballot is required.

Our local president was recently advised that an Elections Committee should only be used for the election of officers;  the Elections Committee is not to be used for changing the local organization's policies by secret ballot.  

Our local present was further advised (by the same individual) that if he wants to conduct an election by secret ballot to amend our local policies, he is to appoint tellers (half pro/half con) to conduct such an election.

Our governing documents on the national and local levels do not specifically state that the Elections Committee is only to be used for the election of officers.  I notice that when RONR, 11th Edition references "elections" and "election committees," it uses those words to discuss matters pertaining to the election of officers.  I've also consulted other (non-binding) texts (Robert's Rules for Dummies, Jim Slaughter's texts) and it appears as though an election committee can be used not only for the election of officers, but for other matters too (i.e., changing bylaws/policies).

I understand that most people would question the use of an elections committee for amending bylaws when that can be done in open session.  But in an effort to be transparent, our local organization's president wanted to conduct the vote to amend our policies by secret ballot, and we have done it in the recent past.  Now the president is being advised that this is an incorrect process.  

There is nothing in our local organization's policies (or national organization's bylaws and other governing documents) that specifically restricts the use of the Elections Committee for the election of officers.  Also, there may be a situation in which the local president wants to conduct an election via secret ballot on a hotly contested issue.

Question 1 -- So, given the above scenario, is it improper to use the Elections Committee for amending local policies?

In addition, a motion was made at the most recent meeting of the general body of the local organization.  The motion addressed whether or not a specific passage of the local organization's policies should be placed on a ballot for a general body vote the next month (it was presumed, by the local organization's president that this process was proper).  The motion succeeded, and it was presumed that the question (about whether the specific passage should be changed) will appear, as presented (with the proposed changes and without proposed changes so people can vote either "yes" or "no").  

Question 2 -- If using the Elections Committee in the voting process (secret ballot) to change the local organization's policies is improper, what should be done now?  The motion incorporated the fact that the question would appear on a ballot.

--Could a secret ballot still be used with the appointment of tellers (pro/con on the issue to be voted on)?

--Could a motion to amend something previously adopted be made at the next meeting (with or without notice)?

Sorry for the long email, but I look forward to hearing what the wise people on this message board have to say.  thank you.

Question 1 -- So, given the above scenario, is it improper to use the Elections Committee for amending local policies?

It's up to your organization to interpret its own rules. RONR does not define what an election committee is or when it is appropriate to use one. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation.

Question 2 -- If using the Elections Committee in the voting process (secret ballot) to change the local organization's policies is improper, what should be done now?

I'd just make the Elections Committee serve as the tellers committee and not worry about its other duties.

--Could a secret ballot still be used with the appointment of tellers (pro/con on the issue to be voted on)?

Yes.

--Could a motion to amend something previously adopted be made at the next meeting (with or without notice)?

What exactly are you trying to rescind or amend?

<<What exactly are you trying to rescind or amend?>>

The motion focusing on whether or not a specific question (relating to amendment of a specific clause in the policies) should be placed on the ballot for a vote by the general body.   The motion succeeded, meaning the general body voted in favor of placing the question on the ballot for next month.  

The local organization's president is contemplating amending that motion to remove all language stating that the question will appear on the ballot because the president has been advised that he cannot use the Elections Committee to conduct a secret ballot election on a question that may amend the local organization's policies.  The president has been advised that in order to have an election and secret ballot on such a question, he will have to use tellers.

Of note is that the Elections Committee has been appointed (by the president) anyway for a vote on the same day because the local organization needs to have a special election to elect another member to the executive board. 

In both situations, the Elections Committee would be used to conduct an election with two issues:   one issue is for the election of another member to the executive board, and one issue is a policy amendment question.  I don't think that separate tellers (apart from who is already on the Elections Committee) are really needed.

<<What exactly are you trying to rescind or amend?>>

The motion focusing on whether or not a specific question (relating to amendment of a specific clause in the policies) should be placed on the ballot for a vote by the general body.   The motion succeeded, meaning the general body voted in favor of placing the question on the ballot for next month.  

The local organization's president is contemplating amending that motion to remove all language stating that the question will appear on the ballot because the president has been advised that he cannot use the Elections Committee to conduct a secret ballot election on a question that may amend the local organization's policies.  The president has been advised that in order to have an election and secret ballot on such a question, he will have to use tellers.

If the body which adopted this motion can meet before the ballot is sent out, then yes, I suppose it would be in order to amend or rescind the motion. This requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice. If the only issue is the Elections Committee, however, I see no reason to go through all that trouble. The President can simply appoint the members of the Elections Committee as tellers instead.

Of note is that the Elections Committee has been appointed (by the president) anyway for a vote on the same day because the local organization needs to have a special election to elect another member to the executive board. 

In both situations, the Elections Committee would be used to conduct an election with two issues:   one issue is for the election of another member to the executive board, and one issue is a policy amendment question.  I don't think that separate tellers (apart from who is already on the Elections Committee) are really needed.

I don't think so either. If it is determined that an Elections Committee cannot properly be appointed except for an election, then the President should simply appoint the members of the Elections Committee as tellers. They would then continue to serve in their full capacity as the Elections Committee for the election, and would perform only the duties of tellers for the other vote.

Archived