The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Scenario on correcting minutes.

Tom Coronite

At the May 14 Trustees Board meeting we read and approved the April 9 meeting minutes.  We had a correction proposed to the April 9 minutes, but the correction was disputed. So a motion was made to correct the language, and it passed by majority vote.

Reading p. 469 lines 4-8 I understand that the correction that was adopted goes into the April 9 minutes. After all, they are only a draft until we approve them. So when that correction is made and there are no further corrections, the April 9 minutes are "approved as corrected" and a statement is entered into the May 14 minutes that "the April 9 minutes were approved as corrected." (p 472 lines 8-9)

My question is should the May 14 minutes include the motion that proposed the correction to the April 9 minutes? If not, why?  Is it because the proposed correction is treated as a subsidiary motion to amend (the draft minutes)?  i think that is the case, but I'm just looking for corroboration.  We had a brief discussion about this and I want to make sure I am explaining this correctly to them.

My question is should the May 14 minutes include the motion that proposed the correction to the April 9 minutes? If not, why?  Is it because the proposed correction is treated as a subsidiary motion to amend (the draft minutes)?  i think that is the case, but I'm just looking for corroboration.  We had a brief discussion about this and I want to make sure I am explaining this correctly to them.

I think that's correct.  :)  Now in June if you want to make additional corrections to the April 9 minutes you'll be using the incidental main motion, and that goes in.

At the May 14 Trustees Board meeting we read and approved the April 9 meeting minutes.  We had a correction proposed to the April 9 minutes, but the correction was disputed. So a motion was made to correct the language, and it passed by majority vote.

Reading p. 469 lines 4-8 I understand that the correction that was adopted goes into the April 9 minutes. After all, they are only a draft until we approve them. So when that correction is made and there are no further corrections, the April 9 minutes are "approved as corrected" and a statement is entered into the May 14 minutes that "the April 9 minutes were approved as corrected." (p 472 lines 8-9)

The corrections to the draft minutes are treated much like any amendment to a motion would be handled, and those are not noted in the minutes, only the final form of the language, which in this case is done in the original minutes of that date, as you correctly noted.

Archived