The Official RONR Q & A Forums

General questions in the Advanced Discussion Forum

Occasionally (and twice in the past 24 hours) a guest will post a basic question in the Advanced Discussion Forum. It's not a big deal and the moderators will usually move it to the General Discussion Forum (as was done with the two most recent topics).

But I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to limit posts in the Advanced Discussion Forum to members only. At first blush that may seem exclusionary (even elitist?) but, of course, anyone can become a member. So it's really not more than a speed bump. And it might even encourage a guest to become a member.

I also wonder if the guest might not be able to find the re-located topic (okay, that seems unlikely) or become upset that it had been moved and not follow up.

Anyway, just an idea. I see a few upsides (guests think twice, guests become members, less work for the moderators) and no downsides.

At first I thought it might be a good idea. But pretty soon after Edgar Guest's suggestion was posted, a member also posted a beginner's question in the Advanced Forum, so I'm not sure it matters much. I'm not opposed to it, though, as long as any rejection response from the system clearly explains that guests can post in the other forums and that anyone on the Internet (or is it only anyone with a valid email account?) can register as a member.

A question that is "general" to experienced students of RONR is often "advanced" in the view of someone who doesn't know much about parliamentary procedure. Therefore, I don't think novices can be expected to know where to post questions.

I've noticed, too, that sometimes a "general" question evolves into a very interesting discussion that can be considered "advanced." With moderators being able to move the discussions, I see no problem with the current system.

A question that is "general" to experienced students of RONR is often "advanced" in the view of someone who doesn't know much about parliamentary procedure. Therefore, I don't think novices can be expected to know where to post questions.

And yet somehow the overwhelming number manage to do so.

I sometimes wonder if basic questions (and some are indisputably basic) are sometimes posted in the Advanced Discussion Forum in the hope that they'll get a quicker reply (the same reason some topics are posted in ALL CAPS or with a word like "Urgent!).

Anyway, as noted, it's not a big deal. And novices who truly believe their basic questions are "advanced" can easily become a member and there's no downside to that (and a significant upside in that their follow up posts will all be under the same name and not devolve to "Guest_Guest as happens all too often).

Edited at 2:50 PM to add: They'd not only have to think that their question was "advanced", they'd have to (per the instructions) consider themselves to be "experienced parliamentarians".

Archived