The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Revising Bylaws

Guest JimLay

We are an ad-hoc committee charged with revising our church bylaws. There are provisions in the current bylaws to "amend" but not revise. We did this about 12 years ago and we just voted the new bylaws into place and rescinded the old ones. My question is whether we need to amend the current bylaws to permit revisions or simply follow the old process. Thanks. Jim

We are an ad-hoc committee charged with revising our church bylaws. There are provisions in the current bylaws to "amend" but not revise. We did this about 12 years ago and we just voted the new bylaws into place and rescinded the old ones. My question is whether we need to amend the current bylaws to permit revisions or simply follow the old process. Thanks. Jim

A revision is a form of amendment, so you're fine.  Do not rescind old bylaws and adopt new ones, it's highly problematic. 

There are provisions in the current bylaws to "amend" but not revise. 

That's fine.  Revision is just a special case of amendment that amends everything at once, by substituting a complete new set of bylaws for the ones that exist now.  

The same rules (regarding previous notice, voting threshold, etc.) that apply to isolated changes, apply equally to a general revision, except that the scope of notice considerations do not apply, since the notice will have stated that a general revision would be considered.

Our association is in a situation in which our bylaws need to be amended, in order to be in compliance with a higher authority. Our bylaws require 2/3 vote of the assembly for amendment. The bylaws ALSO require 10 days advance notice by publication of the proposed amendments, before taking a vote. However, our cycle of regular meetings has ended, and an emergency assembly meeting will be needed. It was suggested that a motion could be taken from the floor, to adopt the amendments, and voted on at that meeting, and that this "right" of the assembly supersedes the waiting period outlined in the bylaws. Is this true? If not, is there a way to handle this business in a single meeting, or are we stuck with the (monumental) task of assembling a quorum of members on two separate dates?

so when you amend bylaws should there be a statement at the end of them that says something like "amended such&such date" verses revised? anytime we have changed our bylaws we always put at the bottom "revised " and then the date. is this wrong? they have only been revised once since i have been involved but we have amended them several times.

Sorry, I thought my question was relevant to this topic, as it is about revising bylaws.

See Mr. Gerber's second bullet point here - http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/25416-important-read-this-first-information-for-new-members-and-guests/

Since it's his wrath we must deal with instead of the kind gentle demeanor of Mr. Honemann, I commend everyone to read what he posted and follow Mr. Gerber's advice. Not following it can cause a poster to be found in some back alley off of Flatbush Avenue.  :)

Since it's his wrath we must deal with instead of the kind gentle demeanor of Mr. Honemann, I commend everyone to read what he posted and follow Mr. Gerber's advice. Not following it can cause a poster to be found in some back alley off of Flatbush Avenue.   :)

Yeah, you guys just think you had it tough in the olden days. The rlk is really mean, and you don't even want to think about what will happen if young Dan decides to throw his weight around.

Thanks to all who answered my original question. I see the path clearly. As a note of clarity, our old bylaws simply stated all previous ones were replaced. It was a slip of the typing finger to say we rescinded them. Thanks again, Jim

See Mr. Gerber's second bullet point here - http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/25416-important-read-this-first-information-for-new-members-and-guests/

Since it's his wrath we must deal with instead of the kind gentle demeanor of Mr. Honemann, I commend everyone to read what he posted and follow Mr. Gerber's advice. Not following it can cause a poster to be found in some back alley off of Flatbush Avenue.   :)

Yeah, you guys just think you had it tough in the olden days. The rlk is really mean, and you don't even want to think about what will happen if young Dan decides to throw his weight around.

C'mon fellas, be nice. Otherwise I may decide to lock this topic and then add to it, a tactic which truly seems to inspire awe around here. :)

Archived