The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is it Motion, discussion, then second?

Guest Amy

I apologize if this has been asked on here already, but I could not find it specifically to my question. 

I have two State Boards that I am the Executive Secretary for and I have questioned how the Board conducts business.  It has been my understanding that once a motion is made, discussion should begin if any, then call for a second, all in favor etc.  Am I wrong?

My Boards throw out a motion and a second then discuss.  To me if you have recend a motion it's best to only recend one, but is that completely improper for them to conduct business that way?

Also shouldn't or couldn't the Board have discussion before any motion is made? So that when a motion is made,  you could call for any more dicussion then receive the second, etc. 

Is this proper langauge to have on an agenda:

Order of Business: The Board may discuss, vote to approve, vote to disapprove, vote to table, change the order of any agenda item, or decide not to discuss any item on the agenda.

If I have read correctly the Board should adopt the agenda before the meeting starts and the president should call for any other items to be added or removed?

In a recent 2 day meeting on the agenda there was several items that were on both agendas, because time may have ran out for them to be discussed the first day; so they were also on the second day. 

Also on the agenda it mentioned that the dicussions would continue on the next day if left undiscussed.  Since a lot information was covered on the first day and did not need to be discussed the second, should they have called to amend the agenda at the start of the  2nd day meeting?

Thank you for any help and guidance.  I could not find my specific question in the frequent questions either.

Is this proper [language] to have on an agenda:

Order of Business: The Board may discuss, vote to approve, vote to disapprove, vote to table, change the order of any agenda item, or decide not to discuss any item on the agenda.

That is unnecessary for an agenda. The board could generally take those actions regardless if they are on an agenda or not.

In a small board, motions need not be seconded and informal discussion of a subject is permitted while no motion is pending. (see RONR 11th ed., pp. 487-488)

I currently have "The Classic 1915 Edition" there is not that many pages.   Our Board has adopted by statute to follow Robert's Rules so why would they not have to have a second?   Thanks for helping answer some of my questions. 

What about adopting the agenda and changing it before a meeting starts if an item needs to be removed is that necessary?

I have two State Boards that I am the Executive Secretary for and I have questioned how the Board conducts business.  It has been my understanding that once a motion is made, discussion should begin if any, then call for a second, all in favor etc.  Am I wrong?

Yes you are.

A second occurs immediately after the motion.  Only then does debate (discussion) begin.  If the motion does not get a second, no debate, voting or anything else takes place.

Yes you are.

A second occurs immediately after the motion.  Only then does debate (discussion) begin.  If the motion does not get a second, no debate, voting or anything else takes place.

Thank you, I had someone tell me different that you can't tell they are wrong if you know what I mean. 

Archived