The Official RONR Q & A Forums

new business

Guest arnoldlevin@me.com

Guest arnoldlevin@me.com

Our board mailed a notice of an annual meeting.  In the the mailing they stated that ONLY questions submitted in advance of the meeting may be discussed.  Comments raised during the meeting were not to be discussed.

Is the a common procedure?

Our board mailed a notice of an annual meeting.  In the the mailing they stated that ONLY questions submitted in advance of the meeting may be discussed.  Comments raised during the meeting were not to be discussed.

It's not only not common, it is prohibited by RONR unless the bylaws give the board that power.

It's most common among boards that are about to find themselves voted out of office, or flat out removed from office for violating the rights of members.

It's not that uncommon in my experience, especially in very large organizations that I've been a member of. It needs to be provided for in your governing documents though, as this restriction cannot be imposed arbitrarily. RONR (11 ed.) p. 634 talks about having such a provision in the context of a large convention. 

Archived