The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee Members Required

jtc0601

Our Organization is small and we have difficulty getting member participation.  Our bylaws state "Not less than 60 days in advance of a meeting regularly held for such purpose, the President shall appoint a Nominating Committee of at least three (3) Members, at least one of whom is not a Director."  Our President and Board have asked for volunteers but only two members have agreed [one of whom is a BOD] to serve on the committee.   We do not want to have more than one BOD on the committee.  

Can we have a committee of 2 since the bylaws state "at least"  or do we not have a committee?  

Can the election still take place without a committee and just have nominations from the floor?  

Our Organization is small and we have difficulty getting member participation.  Our bylaws state "Not less than 60 days in advance of a meeting regularly held for such purpose, the President shall appoint a Nominating Committee of at least three (3) Members, at least one of whom is not a Director."  Our President and Board have asked for volunteers but only two members have agreed [one of whom is a BOD] to serve on the committee.   We do not want to have more than one BOD on the committee.  

Can we have a committee of 2 since the bylaws state "at least"  or do we not have a committee?  

Can the election still take place without a committee and just have nominations from the floor?  

I concur with Dr. Stackpole that the committee can still conduct business if it has fewer than the required number of members, and that the assembly can conduct the election even if no committee is appointed at all, but the rule in the bylaws must be complied with if at all possible.

We do not want to have more than one BOD on the committee.  

Well, it's not what "We" want that matters, it's up to the president.  As long as one committee member is not a Director, you have complied with your bylaws.  The bylaws say that the president should appoint at least members, so it seems to me he has a duty to appoint three, even if "we" don't like it.

I do concur that the committee can conduct business even if he fails to fill it completely.

Thank you gentlemen for your advice!  It is greatly appreciated!  Our Organization has gone through a rough time lately and the President wants to make sure all BOD are included in the decision making, even though it is ultimately up to him to appoint.  It seems to work for this BOD.  When I stated "We" I guess I forgot to mention I was also a Board member.  Thanks again, this forum has always steered me in the right direction!   :)

Archived