The Official RONR Q & A Forums

To vote or to appoint

Guest Sue

Actually, both are common...

To "appoint"means to name people to a (usually preexisting) position, committee, board, or group of some kind. Bylaws commonly say who, or what body has the power to appoint, as yours do, giving that power to your Board.

Other organizations give that power to the general membership.  It is up to the membership, via the bylaws, to specify who is the appointing body.

In both cases an election can serve as a means to select who to "appoint".  (In a general election by the membership, the term "appoint" is usually not used, of course:  the action of selecting someone - the election - and the action of putting him/her in office are all rolled into one.)

Our bylaws says that the Board may appoint officers. I think the voting members should have the right to vote the offices especially for presidential. Which procedure best represent existing practices?

What exactly do the bylaws say about the board appointing officers?   Do the bylaws give the general membership any say in choosing the officers?

This is typical of condominiums and co-ops (at least in my (parliamentary) experience).

I agree.  That is a common provision.  But, if you think the members, rather than the board, should elect the officers, then you should do as Edgar Guest suggested and try to amend the bylaws. It is possible, but unusual, to have the membership elect the president and the board select all the other officers.  The board members likely know which members are best suited for the various positions.

Archived