The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions from the floor AGM

Guest cbx1100

We are a 40 year non profit association which has adopted Roberts Rules. We have an AGM coming up next month. The agenda has been mailed. In this mail out was an budget agenda item which will change our year end from Mar 31 to Dec 31.  It appears, (speculation until the the vote of course) that this will not pass.  No other budget is to be presented, in other words, if this is defeated we will have to have a SGM down the road to present a new budget. The question is can an amendment to the budget motion be made from the floor to change the date to Mar 31(rather than Dec 31) so we would not have to have a SGM ?

The agenda has been mailed. In this mail out was an budget agenda item which will change our year end from Mar 31 to Dec 31.

If changes to the budget require previous notice then any additional changes to the proposed budget must fall within "the scope of the notice".

If previous notice is not required then any change is possible (subject to any other applicable rules).

For more on agendas, see FAQ #14.

By the way, if your current fiscal year ends on March 31 you don't need to do anything to keep it that way.

Unless your convention rules say otherwise, motions can be made from the floor.  (In large organizations, there is often a Resolutions Committee, which handles all new motions.)   I'm assuming that your year-end date is not in the bylaws; if it is, then you would need a bylaws amendment, not simply a motion from the floor at a convention.

If changes to the budget require previous notice then any additional changes to the proposed budget must fall within "the scope of the notice".

If previous notice is not required then any change is possible (subject to any other applicable rules).

For more on agendas, see FAQ #14.

By the way, if your current fiscal year ends on March 31 you don't need to do anything to keep it that way.

I'd have to believe that if even if notice was required, a proposal to change from March to December would create no "scope of notice" problem if the amendment were to leave it at the status quo.   

Is a simple amendment to strike language always within the scope of notice?  Or can some weird situation counter that idea?

I'd have to believe that if even if notice was required, a proposal to change from March to December would create no "scope of notice" problem if the amendment were to leave it at the status quo.

Yes, the status quo will always fall within the scope of the notice. In other words, "A" will always fall within the scope of a notice to change "A" to "B". 

Is a simple amendment to strike language always within the scope of notice?  Or can some weird situation counter that idea?

I'd bet on the possibility of a "weird situation".

Archived