The Official RONR Q & A Forums

NonProfitOrg

Guest Non

Can a regular board member in a non-government organization be Acting Chair if there is no Vice Chair?

Yes.  If the chairman is not present and there is no vice chair, the assembly elects someone else to preside.

I'm assuming that your question is related to presiding at a meeting and that George means that the assembly elects someone else (a chairman pro tem) to preside at meetings.  A chairman pro-tem does not acquire any of the administrative or managerial duties assigned to the president in the bylaws.  The chairman pro-tem's duties are limited to presiding at a meeting.

I know that Mr. Mervosh knows that but I'm not sure that guest Non does.

Can a regular board member in a non-government organization be Acting Chair if there is no Vice Chair?

Any member can be elected chairman pro tempore ("pro tem" for short), which is Latin for "for the time being".  That's for the duration of the meeting only.

If you're talking about establishing an Acting officer who would have other authorities and duties between meetings, as Mr. Brown refers to, I think that would require some provision in your bylaws for Acting Officers.  Otherwise, if a position becomes vacant, you fill it--with a "real" chairman.

Archived