The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw change - to remove Robert's Rules!

Guest Jamestown

I just read the proposed changes to our Bylaws that our league will vote on soon, I nearly fell out of my chair when I read one was to remove Robert's. I imagine it is because of lack of knowledge, both importance and understanding. I plan to discuss the reasons they protect the members but I fear ignorance! Ugh, help.

The quote Thomas Jefferson:

And whether these forms be in all cases the most rational or not, is really not of so great importance. It is much more material that there should be a rule to go by, than what that rule is; that there may be an uniformity of proceeding in business, not subject to the caprice of the Speaker, or captiousness of the members.

I just read the proposed changes to our Bylaws that our league will vote on soon, I nearly fell out of my chair when I read one was to remove Robert's. I imagine it is because of lack of knowledge, both importance and understanding. I plan to discuss the reasons they protect the members but I fear ignorance! Ugh, help.

Perhaps getting the In Brief version may be of help for your league.

Perhaps getting the In Brief version may be of help for your league.

I agree completely with Mr. Huynh's suggestion about getting copies of RONR in Brief for the members of the league, but keep in mind that "In Brief" says repeatedly that it should never be adopted as the parliamentary authority for an organization and that if an organization does adopt it as the parliamentary authority, the organization is actually adopting RONR as the parliamentary authority.

Edited to add:  From page 7 of RONR in Brief: 

"Because this book is only an introduction and guide to RONR, it is not itself suitable for adoption by any organization as its "parliamentary authority"—the book of rules the group names to govern its meeting procedure. If any organization designates this book as its parliamentary authority, it actually adopts the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised."

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that such a proposed revision can only be done out of ignorance.

Since an associations by laws always take precedence over RONR (at least I have always heard they do) this means that RONR is there only for those sections where there is no local rule to follow. I can not see that as anything but a protection for the members and the association as a whole. It is not like a new edition of RONR will come out and override or suplant your bylaws.

Archived