The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of Members

Guest Removing Confused

Guest Removing Confused

Our group's bylaws make no special provision for removal of a member or officer and do state that anything not in the bylaws must follow RRoO. Our President is attempting to throw out a bunch of members they dislike by reporting them to our governing group (i.e. a larger group to which our body is part of). Is this correct or do they not have to go through the disciplinary proceedings in RRNR within the group itself? Would that not be initiated by the President making a motion at a meeting of the group itself not it's governing group?

Our group's bylaws make no special provision for removal of a member or officer and do state that anything not in the bylaws must follow RRoO. Our President is attempting to throw out a bunch of members they dislike by reporting them to our governing group (i.e. a larger group to which our body is part of). Is this correct or do they not have to go through the disciplinary proceedings in RRNR within the group itself? Would that not be initiated by the President making a motion at a meeting of the group itself not it's governing group?

It seems to me that you should see if the bylaws of your governing group say anything on this subject. If they do not, then I concur that the assembly (of this organization, not the parent organization) should follow the disciplinary procedures in RONR. Ch. XX of RONR should be read thoroughly before embarking on such procedures. The procedure is initiated by a member making a motion to form an investigative committee. This motion should not be made by the President, as the President's duty is to impartially preside over the meeting.

Guest Removing Confused

Thank you. The governing group's bylaws only allow removal of a non-officer by lack of dues payment, affiliation with a competitive group, or public support of non-endorsed candidates. Subordinate groups (i.e., us) are required to create their own bylaws which can provide additional items not covered in the governing group's bylaws as long as they are not in conflict with them or RONR. Since there is no such item in our Bylaws does RONR or the governing group's bylaws prevail?

Is the very nature of the President making such a report is against the impartiality of the President or is that just within our group? Can I have a RONR citation please? Thank you.

Thank you. The governing group's bylaws only allow removal of a non-officer by lack of dues payment, affiliation with a competitive group, or public support of non-endorsed candidates. Subordinate groups (i.e., us) are required to create their own bylaws which can provide additional items not covered in the governing group's bylaws as long as they are not in conflict with them or RONR. Since there is no such item in our Bylaws does RONR or the governing group's bylaws prevail?

It seems that RONR prevails if the case at hand does not involve "lack of dues payment, affiliation with a competitive group, or public support of non-endorsed candidates."

Is the very nature of the President making such a report is against the impartiality of the President or is that just within our group? Can I have a RONR citation please? Thank you.

Strictly speaking, the rules regarding the President's duty to remain impartial apply only when he is presiding over meetings of your assembly. although I would think caution should be exercised when making remarks at other times, particularly on an issue as sensitive as attempting to expel members from the society. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 394-395, 

Archived