The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting MIn

Guest Humm

The minutes record what happened at a meeting. I suppose someone (the president? the secretary?) could (and probably should) present a report with the results of any inter-meeting online voting and that report could be included in (or at least referenced in) the minutes of the meeting at which it was presented.

We are allowed to have online votes per our rules of procedure.

If we do should the business be recorded in the prior meeting min or in the next months meeting min?

If that's not covered in those "rules of procedure" then they may need some work.  Edgar Guest's suggestions might make a nice addition to your rules.

If a meeting is adjourned, then the minutes would be for that meeting.  If the session continues (online), as with a motion "to fix the time to which to adjourn (online)," then the minutes would be continued to include the online portion.  However, I suspect that the online meeting is separate and should therefore have separate minutes, which should be approved, after the minutes of the previous non-online meeting.

It's an intriguing question.   Unquestionably, action taken via an online vote (or any other kind of vote outside of a meeting) needs to be recorded.  Ideally, the organization will adopt a bylaw provision or rule dealing with how the record of those actions (votes) will re recorded and reported.  The organization could, I suppose, adopt the use of a separate record book for recording votes on matters voted on electronically between meetings.

But, it seems more logical to have a separate section in the minutes of each meeting for recording action taken via electronic, telephone or mail votes between the adjournment of the last meeting and the current meeting.  It could just be category similar to Officers reports, but with a heading "Action taken since the last meeting" or "Email Votes".  Whatever you want to call it.  Your secretary can even start doing that on his own without a special rule, but I think a special rule of order to that effect should be adopted.

I think those email votes should be recorded in the minutes of the first meeting after the vote, rather than the last meeting prior to the vote.

It's an intriguing question.   Unquestionably, action taken via an online vote (or any other kind of vote outside of a meeting) needs to be recorded.  Ideally, the organization will adopt a bylaw provision or rule dealing with how the record of those actions (votes) will re recorded and reported.  The organization could, I suppose, adopt the use of a separate record book for recording votes on matters voted on electronically between meetings.

In addition to being recorded, the results of any vote need to be stated by the chair at a meeting. Since this properly should occur at the first meeting after voting has been completed and the results tallied, I concur with the suggestion that it is this meeting whose minutes should record the voting results.

Archived