The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspending bylaws

Guest Jack

All of them? No.

Most of them? No.

Some of them? Maybe.

Which rule do you want to suspend? Or, perhaps more appropriately, what do you want to do that the bylaws are preventing you from doing?

P.S. Just out of curiosity, and to help improve this site, why did you post your question in the "Advanced Discussion" forum?

We are a 501 C 19 not for profit.  Lately, we have three members that are attempting to alter our method of operation by submitting constant changes to the Bylaws.

We need time to study the massive amount of changes and have referred the individual recommendations to committee.  However, we need a way to defer each submission to review instead of the current procedure covered in the Bylaws of accepting a change in writing and voting on it the following meeting.

Based on what I have read, it is not possible to set aside a Bylaw.

We are a 501 C 19 not for profit.  Lately, we have three members that are attempting to alter our method of operation by submitting constant changes to the Bylaws.

We need time to study the massive amount of changes and have referred the individual recommendations to committee.  However, we need a way to defer each submission to review instead of the current procedure covered in the Bylaws of accepting a change in writing and voting on it the following meeting.

Can the bylaws be suspended?

No, a bylaw which covers the procedure for amending the bylaws cannot be suspended.

We are a 501 C 19 not for profit. Lately, we have three members that are attempting to alter our method of operation by submitting constant changes to the Bylaws.

We need time to study the massive amount of changes and have referred the individual recommendations to committee. However, we need a way to defer each submission to review instead of the current procedure covered in the Bylaws of accepting a change in writing and voting on it the following meeting.

The rules in question cannot be suspended, but I'm not sure that they need to be. I find it extremely unlikely that the rule forces the assembly to vote on the proposed amendment at the very next meeting. It is likely within the assembly's power to adopt a motion to Postpone to a Certain Time or to Refer the amendments to a committee for further study. Either motion requires a majority vote for adoption.

No, it's not, but there's nothing that requires anyone to vote Yes on it.  Have any of these bylaws amendments actually been voted into effect?  If so, why?  If they're as bad as you say, why would 2/3 of the members support them?

I'm assuming it takes a 2/3 vote to amend, is that what your bylaws say?

Archived