The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Discussion following committee report

gpeastwoo

At our upcoming AGM, a committee chair will be giving an update on a project 's progress. Although there will not be a resolution proposed, the Chair usually allows questions to be asked by the members. As there is no resolution, therefore no vote to be taken, can the Chair unilaterally limit the time allocated to questions and even the time allowed for each member? Or, must someone make a motion to limit discussion?

Dave

At our upcoming AGM, a committee chair will be giving an update on a project 's progress. Although there will not be a resolution proposed, the Chair usually allows questions to be asked by the members. As there is no resolution, therefore no vote to be taken, can the Chair unilaterally limit the time allocated to questions and even the time allowed for each member? Or, must someone make a motion to limit discussion?

Dave

Also, can the Chair decide to not allow any discussion on the report?

Discussion is not permitted without a pending debatable motion, so yes.  As Mr. Brown notes, member may still ask questions, through the chair, related to the report.

Would a motion and second "to commend member X for his fine report" be a way to get at a discussion of the report? Or, too roundabout, or ...?

I guess I'm assuming some feel a need to discuss the merits of the report, perhaps e.g., opinions on methodology, accuracy, omissions, errors, etc. If it's rather a matter of wanting more details, more information, then this approach would be dubious(er).

Discussion is not permitted without a pending debatable motion, so yes.  As Mr. Brown notes, member may still ask questions, through the chair, related to the report.

Let's say there are numerous members waiting to ask questions. In order to keep the meeting moving forward, can the amount of minutes per speaker be limited or the total time for questions be limited?

If there is a desire to discuss the report, I believe a member may move to go into the committee of the whole or quasi committee of the whole to discuss the report.

Edited to add:  A member could also make a motion to refer the matter to a different committee or to refer it back to the original committee with instructions to consider certain factors.  Either of those motions would open the matter up for discussion.

Others may disagree, but I believe the assembly could also suspend the rules to allow discussion of the report.  Doing that would  require a two thirds vote.

Regardless of the method, the assembly may place limits on the length and number of speeches and on the total amount of time allocated to the discussion. 

I suppose you could make a motion to adopt the entire report. Then the entire report would be up for discussion and the rules of debate would be in effect during the consideration of this motion. However, note that RONR says, "Adoption of an entire report is seldom wise except when it is to be issued or published in the name of the whole organization." (p. 508, ll. 8-10)

Archived