The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who may sign and submit corected minutes?

Guest Bruce Formhals

Guest Bruce Formhals

Our board is required to conduct its meeting in accordance with the latest edition of RONR.  After the secretary (not a voting board member) submitted the minutes of a particular meeting, the board spproved some corrections (changes) to the minutes.  The secretary did not agree with the changes approved by the board and thereupon resigned and demanded that his name be removed from the minutes.  Can he refuse to have his name not associated with the minutes?  If so, can the new secretary, who did not record the original minutes, sign and submit the corrected minutes?

Once discussion began on the draft minutes, they were no longer in control of the Secretary.  Whatever changes the board made to the minutes are not up to the Secretary to approve or not.  The board decides what its minutes will say.

So whatever you approved are your minutes, even if someone else wrote the draft.  They should be given to the new secretary, who can sign them, I suppose, but there's no need to resubmit what you have already approved.

He should have signed the draft minutes he submitted for approval. Once approved (with or without corrections), the secretary at the time of approval (and possibly the president) initials them as "Approved".

In this case it was the old secretary who was present at the time of approval, and who disapproved of the approval, to the extent of resigning.

I think the President might be easier to convince.

Guest Bruce Formhals

After reading the replies, and now that I think of it, the signature on the approved minutes merely signifies that they are the final minutes that have been approved by the board.  Therefore, it would be correct for either the president or the current (new) secretary to sign them.

Our board is required to conduct its meeting in accordance with the latest edition of RONR.  After the secretary (not a voting board member) submitted the minutes of a particular meeting, the board spproved some corrections (changes) to the minutes.  The secretary did not agree with the changes approved by the board and thereupon resigned and demanded that his name be removed from the minutes.  Can he refuse to have his name not associated with the minutes?  If so, can the new secretary, who did not record the original minutes, sign and submit the corrected minutes?

Interesting question.  RONR does seem to say that the minutes (the draft minutes, I believe) should be signed by the secretary.  From page 471:  "Minutes should be signed by the secretary and can also be signed, if the assembly wishes, by the president. The words Respectfully submitted—although occasionally used—represent an older practice that is not essential in signing the minutes."

Then, on page 473 in the section on "Form of the Minutes", RONR ends the sample minutes as follows:

"The meeting adjourned at 10:05 P.M.

Margaret Duffy, Secretary"

Then, in the section on "Reading and Approval of the Minutes" on page 475 RONR says:

"When the minutes are approved, the word Approved, with the secretary's initials and the date, should be written below them."

My feeling, at the moment, at least, is that the secretary who took and typed the draft minutes should sign them, and that the new secretary or secretary pro tem or maybe even the president should sign (not just initial) and date the approved minutes. 

I don't know that it really makes any difference, as the minutes aren't the minutes of any one person, they are the assembly's  minutes.  I'm anxious to read what others think.

Therefore, it would be correct for either the president or the current (new) secretary to sign them.

Well, not "either". RONR says (p.475) that the secretary writes the words "Approved" and initials and dates the minutes.

It's the submitted draft minutes that can be signed by the president in addition to the secretary who prepared them (p.471).

Archived