The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ratification of Minutes at next meeting

Guest Kas Kelly

Greetings,

At our Health Association Board Meeting last month we did not have a quorum.  We conducted business as usual with motions and seconds.  On the Agenda for this month it was listed to Ratify the minutes first and then approve the minutes.  I was informed that was backwards and the minutes had to be approved first then the ratification.  Please ...... which is correct?

Greetings,

At our Health Association Board Meeting last month we did not have a quorum.  We conducted business as usual with motions and seconds.  On the Agenda for this month it was listed to Ratify the minutes first and then approve the minutes.  I was informed that was backwards and the minutes had to be approved first then the ratification.  Please ...... which is correct?

You don't ratify minutes.  The first order of business in the Standard Order of Business is the reading and approval of the minutes.  You're simply confirming what happened by approving them.  A motion to ratify the actions taken without a quorum is a main motion and can be made when no other business is pending. 

I would approve the minutes first, then move to ratify the actions taken afterward.

One of these days a motion to ratify isn't going to pass and there will be big trouble that follows.  You need to stop taking actions without a quorum.  Amend the bylaws to a more suitable requirement if the current one is a problem.

Greetings,

Neither is quite correct.

First, it's not okay to conduct business without a quorum, so making motions and seconds was improper.  You didn't say, but were votes held as well?  I guess so, or there would be nothing to ratify.

But if there is, you should first approve the minutes, which will say that there was no quorum and list what was done at the meeting.

Then you move to Ratify the actions that were improperly taken at the inquorate meeting.  You do not "ratify" the minutes themselves.

Archived