The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Committee

Guest Jon

That is for your organization to decide.  But, your executive committee has only such powers as are granted to it in the bylaws.  It might be exceeding its authority when it takes these "emergency" actions.  Any such actions taken without authorization can, however, be be ratified by the parent body (the organization?  The Board of Directors?) if it is an action which the parent body could have taken.  There is a very recent thread on this very topic from just a few days ago.

I suspect there is really no authority for these emergency decisions.  Check your bylaws carefully to see just what powers the executive committee has.  The powers specified in the bylaws are the only powers it has. 

Our organization allows the Executive Committee to meet to make emergency decisions on behalf of the Board when it is not possible to assemble a quorum of the board. 

So first the board would have to call a special meeting and then, failing to get a quorum, the executive committee would call a special meeting?

Does the board have regularly scheduled meetings? How often?

Does the executive committee have regularly schedule meetings? How often?

Do your bylaws provided for special meetings of the board? Of the executive committee? How much notice is required?

Our organization allows the Executive Committee to meet to make emergency decisions on behalf of the Board when it is not possible to assemble a quorum of the board.

That is for your organization to decide.  But, your executive committee has only such powers as are granted to it in the bylaws.  It might be exceeding its authority when it takes these "emergency" actions.  Any such actions taken without authorization can, however, be be ratified by the parent body (the organization?  The Board of Directors?) if it is an action which the parent body could have taken.  There is a very recent thread on this very topic from just a few days ago.

I suspect there is really no authority for these emergency decisions.  Check your bylaws carefully to see just what powers the executive committee has.  The powers specified in the bylaws are the only powers it has. 

Doesn't her initial post seem to indicate the authority does exist?

Doesn't her initial post seem to indicate the authority does exist?

No.  It says, "Our organization allows the Executive Committee to meet to make emergency decisions on behalf of the Board. . . ."

That could mean that the bylaws allow for it.... and it could mean that they have a custom of allowing it.  One is "legal" and the other is not.   If she had said, "Our bylaws allow. . . ." I wouldn't have made that statement.

I would define an emergency as an imminent or actual attack on the life, liberty, or property of the organization.

So a natural disaster would not count?

I was kinda wondering the same thing.... we tend to get lots of hurricanes where I live.  Lots of meetings get "canceled" when we are threatened... or actually hit... by one.

I guess Transpower's interpretation wouldn't allow emergency action by the executive committee to repair a gaping hole in the roof of the clubhouse, either.... unless the gaping hole was caused by a bomb or missile of some kind. . . .  :o

So a natural disaster would not count?

I was kinda wondering the same thing.... we tend to get lots of hurricanes where I live. Lots of meetings get "canceled" when we are threatened... or actually hit... by one.

I guess Transpower's interpretation wouldn't allow emergency action by the executive committee to repair a gaping hole in the roof of the clubhouse, either.... unless the gaping hole was caused by a bomb or missile of some kind. . . . :o

If we replace "attack on" with "threat to," which I suspect is what was intended, then the interpretation covers natural disasters and gaping holes in the roof of the clubhouse.

As if we are supposed to know what "Pearce 2000" is.

I quoted it because of the amusing notion that by defining emergency in that way, it required us to know the exact definitions of incident and disaster.*

It is an example of a definition that obfuscates, rather than clarifying.  Not an unusual characteristic when governments are involved in the process.

In amateur radio communications, "emergency" is fairly simply defined as a situation where life or property is endangered.

* Once we know those, we can get on to less the pressing issue of what Pearce 2000 is.

Archived