The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unit rule

Guest Rachael G

Basically, a rule like that which (t least partially) limits the freedom of delegates to vote their personal preferences would have to be in the bylaws.  And the bylaws should spell out the details of what it takes to impose a "unit rule" on a delegation.  I'll check, but I am pretty sure RONR has little or nothing to say about the "rule".

Regarding a convention of delegates, RONR says that "the delegates are free to vote as they see fit except where an instruction has been given; but a society can, by instructing its delegation, bind it to vote as a unit (that is, to cast all of its votes in accord with the decision of the majority of the delegation) on all issues, on a particular class of business, or on certain matters to be acted on by the convention." (RONR 11th ed., p. 606, ll. 25-30)

Regarding a convention of delegates, RONR says that "the delegates are free to vote as they see fit except where an instruction has been given; but a society can, by instructing its delegation, bind it to vote as a unit (that is, to cast all of its votes in accord with the decision of the majority of the delegation) on all issues, on a particular class of business, or on certain matters to be acted on by the convention." (RONR 11th ed., p. 606, ll. 25-30)

Thanks. A vague memory of that is what made me delete my hasty reply.

I guess the question now is whether this executive board has the authority to bind these delegates to vote as a unit.

Does anyone know what percentage of an executive board must vote to invoke unit rule over an entire delegation? Majority, 2/3rds or 3/4ths? Thanks.

I'm not sure that the Executive Board has the authority to instruct the delegates at all - such authority might reside with the society. If it does, a majority vote is sufficient to order a delegation to vote as a unit.

Does anyone know what percentage of an executive board must vote to invoke unit rule over an entire delegation? Majority, 2/3rds or 3/4ths? Thanks.

I know of no rule in RONR that would authorize an executive board to do anything like this, even with a unanimous vote.  Delegations are assumed to be subordinate to and to get their instructions from the general membership--as is true of the executive board, for that matter.

Archived