The Official RONR Q & A Forums

parliamentarian voting and participating in debate

Guest Willie Watson

Guest Willie Watson

I was at an assembly meeting today and the elected parliamentarian was participating in debate and even voted on a motion.  I asked the parliamentarian since the vote was not by ballot could he actually vote. His reply was that since he was an assembly member he could vote.  Could I have a few of you to comment?

If the parliamentarian is a member of the body that is meeting then he has a right to participate in debate and to vote. But, as parliamentarian, he shouldn't exercise those rights (unless the vote is by ballot). See p.467.

Sounds like you might need a new parliamentarian. Or no parliamentarian at all.

He should be ashamed of himself.

"A member of an assembly who acts as its parliamentarian has the same duty as the presiding officer to maintain a position of impartiality, and therefore does not make motions, participate in debate, or vote on any question except in the case of a ballot vote. He does not cast a deciding vote, even if his vote would affect the result, since that would interfere with the chair's prerogative of doing so. If a member feels that he cannot properly forgo these rights in order to serve as parliamentarian, he should not accept that position. Unlike the presiding officer, the parliamentarian cannot temporarily relinquish his position in order to exercise such rights on a particular motion." P. 467, ll. 8-19.

I was at an assembly meeting today and the elected parliamentarian was participating in debate and even voted on a motion.  I asked the parliamentarian since the vote was not by ballot could he actually vote. His reply was that since he was an assembly member he could vote.  Could I have a few of you to comment?

The parliamentarian is correct that, if a member, he ultimately has the right to speak in debate vote, but this fact will not prevent him from being fired for failing to uphold his duties as parliamentarian.

Additionally, it's generally not advisable to have an elected parliamentarian. It is better to authorize the chair to appoint the parliamentarian.

Archived