The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Validity of Election Rules by Surprise

Guest Secretary

During a recent election, candidates were surprised to find that no electioneering was allowed within 100 ft of the polling venue. This rule appeared to be imposed by the Election Committee (although they did not notify candidates of it). It was enforced by member volunteers who were directed by the Election Committee. There is no such a rule in our Bylaws. There are no applicable external laws. Is there anything in RRNR which allows such a rule to be imposed without a resolution of the assembly? Can the Election Committee just surprise people with such a "rule"?

During a recent election, candidates were surprised to find that no electioneering was allowed within 100 ft of the polling venue. This rule appeared to be imposed by the Election Committee (although they did not notify candidates of it). It was enforced by member volunteers who were directed by the Election Committee. There is no such a rule in our Bylaws. There are no applicable external laws. Is there anything in RRNR which allows such a rule to be imposed without a resolution of the assembly? Can the Election Committee just surprise people with such a "rule"?

This depends entirely on the powers given to the Election Committee by the organization.

P.S.: The standard abbreviation for [Robert's] Rules of Order Newly Revised is "RONR."

This depends entirely on the powers given to the Election Committee by the organization.

Our Election Committee is a standing committee which is appointed by the President. The Bylaws says, "balloting for elections, shall be conducted by the Elections Committee, according to the procedures delineated in these Bylaw." Since the Bylaws don't say that they may impose any additional rules, does anything in RONR allow them to do so??

s

Our Election Committee is a standing committee which is appointed by the President. The Bylaws says, "balloting for elections, shall be conducted by the Elections Committee, according to the procedures delineated in these Bylaw." Since the Bylaws don't say that they may impose any additional rules, does anything in RONR allow them to do so??

s

There is no elections committee in RONR. (There are nominating committees and tellers' committees, but neither type is specifically given the power of creating its own rules relating to electioneering.)

Our election committee seems to have the intent of a teller's committee. Since it is not designated as one but is clearly designated as a standing committee in our Bylaws with no specification that it may create its' own rules, I am guessing that saying it may not create it's own rules is rhetorical? As a result, a 100 ft rule cannot be imposed without a resolution of the assembly?

No.

Guest Secretary, my own take on your election committee, from this thread and your other thread(s) and without having read your bylaws is that the election committee thinks it has more power than it does.  Perhaps this is because over time the organization has "allowed" it to exceed its authority without objection by acquiescing to its dictates.

Guest Secretary, my own take on your election committee, from this thread and your other thread(s) and without having read your bylaws is that the election committee thinks it has more power than it does.  Perhaps this is because over time the organization has "allowed" it to exceed its authority without objection by acquiescing to its dictates.

Mr Brown, you may be right. This particular one was appointed by a challenging President so that is no surprise. That said, I need to work with what is there not what I would like it to be. If nothing else it is helping me to learn all sorts of parts of RONR. Thank you and everyone for your patience.

Archived