The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Phantom rule?

Guest Bunny

A person in our group has invented her own rule, what she calls a "Point of Clarification" in which she'll say: "I have a point of clarification" and then goes about attempting to dissect information on the spot a speaker is in the process of giving in order to re-assemble it to her own liking.

She uses this phantom rule as a substitute for 'Request for Information' to grill the speaker in process, as well as a way to insert her own viewpoint into the speaker's so that it gets altered as the speaker is trying to make their point.

This person insists over and over that they know Robert's Rules, but I have my doubts.

Would it be terribly rude to point out publicly that no such rule exists, and that this is in fact, just an interruption and an attempt to debate out of turn?

A person in our group has invented her own rule, what she calls a "Point of Clarification" in which she'll say: "I have a point of clarification" and then goes about attempting to dissect information on the spot a speaker is in the process of giving in order to re-assemble it to her own liking.

She uses this phantom rule as a substitute for 'Request for Information' to grill the speaker in process, as well as a way to insert her own viewpoint into the speaker's so that it gets altered as the speaker is trying to make their point.

This person insists over and over that they know Robert's Rules, but I have my doubts.

Would it be terribly rude to point out publicly that no such rule exists, and that this is in fact, just an interruption and an attempt to debate out of turn?

It's perfectly proper to point this out.  She's the one being rude.  Invite her to post questions here so that we can clarify things for her.  :)

Unfortunately, it is very common for folks in organizations or Boards to "invent their own rules".

Archived