The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspended member

R12181948

In Good Standing:  (Related to "Suspended")

RONR/11 (Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th Edition) defines the term "member in good standing" on p. 6 in the footnote as referring to a member whose membership rights are not in suspension, either as a consequence of disciplinary proceedings (Chapter XX) or by operation of some specific provision in the bylaws of the organization.

So if you use the phrase "in good standing" in the bylaws, be sure to define exactly what you mean: what causes a member not to be in good standing, what he has to do to get back into the good graces of the association, &c. Also, you should specify which membership rights, duties, privileges, &c. are lost or suspended (or retained) by a member as a consequence of his being in "bad standing" as distinct from his being in good standing or ceasing to be a member at all.

What do your bylaws say about what a suspended member can and can't do?

For example, can a suspended member does a suspended member retain the right to attend meetings?

Nothing in bylaws to that effect.  Member was given letter stating that he could not enter company property, represent the company in any way during suspension period, or attend company functions. Member cannot attend any meetings. This is a volunteer firs company so the suspended member cannot even go on fire call even if he uses his own vehicle.

If a member of an organization is on suspended status can they prefer charges against a member in good standing or do they have to wait till their suspension is completed ?

A member alone, cannot prefer charges at all, whether they are suspended, in good standing, or whatever their status may be, when the rules in RONR apply to the matter.

If a member of an organization is on suspended status can they prefer charges against a member in good standing or do they have to wait till their suspension is completed ?

Nothing in bylaws to that effect. Member was given letter stating that he could not enter company property, represent the company in any way during suspension period, or attend company functions. Member cannot attend any meetings. This is a volunteer firs company so the suspended member cannot even go on fire call even if he uses his own vehicle.

So far as RONR is concerned, a single member can't prefer charges against another member in any event. Such authority rests with the society itself.

If your rules permit a single member to prefer charges against another member (which is not a good idea, in my opinion), then it seems this member retains those rights. It may have been more prudent to say that the member was suspended of all rights except those the society wished for him to retain. By listing the rights he is suspended of (no matter how extensive), the implication is that he retains any other rights of membership not listed in the suspension.

I guess our bylaws need revamped. They were established in the early 1900's and only have changed in part from time to time. As far as charges go they do state part, "Should at any time charges, in writing, signed by three (3) or more members be handed to the President of the Company, accusing any member of having acted in a disorderly manner, a committee of three (3) members shall be appointed to investigate the charges, by the President". Then it goes on to say that the findings of this committee will be reported to the members at a regular membership meeting. The membership then will vote on the type of punishment, if any. The bylaws also state that Robert's Rule of Order does apply unless it is already covered in the body of the bylaws. Any thoughts?

Well, the requirement for three members is the answer to your question:  No, it is not possible for one member, suspended or not, to file charges.

So I guess the question becomes: can a suspended member be one of the three signatories. If I were one of the other two signatories I'd probably look for a non-suspended member for the third.

So I guess the question becomes: can a suspended member be one of the three signatories.

It seems to me that this suspended member could be, since the extensive list of rights and privileges he is suspended of does not include anything about this. I agree, however, that finding a non-suspended member would likely be preferable.

Archived