The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chair and Secretary roles

Guest Dianne Richter

However, RONR does say that the minimum officers necessary to conduct business are a presiding officer and a secretary.  I take that to mean that those two positions should be held by different people.  Here's what it says on page 22:

"MINIMUM OFFICERS. The minimum essential officers for the conduct of business in a deliberative assembly are a presiding officer, who conducts the meeting and sees that the rules are observed, and a secretary, or clerk, who makes a written record of what is done—usually called "the minutes.""

I take that to mean that those two positions should be held by different people. 

I agree that they should be (and I'm sure this has been discussed here before) but I don't think RONR actually prohibits the same person from holding both offices. In a small assembly it might not be a problem.

I agree that they should be (and I'm sure this has been discussed here before) but I don't think RONR actually prohibits the same person from holding both offices. In a small assembly it might not be a problem.

I think it has been discussed but, when I read that passage, it certainly says to me that you need two people at a minimum.  That may not be the prevailing opinion, but if the authorship team meant to say something else, they disguised it well.

I think it has been discussed but, when I read that passage, it certainly says to me that you need two people at a minimum.  That may not be the prevailing opinion, but if the authorship team meant to say something else, they disguised it well.

It's getting hard keeping the "should" rules separate from the "must" rules. . . .

I  interpret that "rule" as a pretty strong "should"  rule.

Perhaps the rule should be prefaced with the statement, "Unless the bylaws provide otherwise. . . ."

...there must be someone performing the duties of both offices, as described. 

And if that's what RONR said there would be no confusion.

But it does say that there is a minimum essential set of officers needed.  An officer is defined as a person holding office.  When I read that more than one officer is required, I think I should be excused for thinking that more than one person is required.

What would you make of a regulation that requires the signatures of two officers on any check drawn upon the society's accounts?  I suggest that the same signature repeated twice would not satisfy.

And if that's what RONR said there would be no confusion.

But it does say that there is a minimum essential set of officers needed.  An officer is defined as a person holding office.  When I read that more than one officer is required, I think I should be excused for thinking that more than one person is required.

What would you make of a regulation that requires the signatures of two officers on any check drawn upon the society's accounts?  I suggest that the same signature repeated twice would not satisfy.

Well, you are referring to a regulation promulgated by some entity other than RONR (most likely a bank), and so you will need to ask that entity. As far as RONR is concerned, a person can both preside and serve as secretary.

If only one person shows up at a regular or properly called meeting, as far as the rules in RONR are concerned that person may conduct the meeting all by himself. He won't be able to do much, but the meeting will have been held.  

In any event, the answer to the question asked in post #1 is yes.

Archived