The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive sessions or meetings

Sherrie

Hi i am apologizing now if I do or say somethng wrong. I am new to this. I belong to a group that is a 501c3 group. They are calling exe session every month with only the officers . is this illegal? I do know they ask certai people to these meetings and then they ambush them. They were told this is illegal by another 501c3 group. They tell us they are meeting to talk about finances and they dont allow anyone else on the board to be there. I have asked for the minutes from them and I still haven't recieved an answer,

Thank you

Sherrie

Is it an Executive Session or a meeting of the Executive Committee?  An Executive Session means that only members of the body which is meeting and any others the assembly invites are allowed to stay and there is a duty to keep anything done at the meeting confidential (RONR pp. 95-96).  The Executive Committee (which must be provided for in the bylaws to exist) is usually a subset of the Board who conducts the Business of the organization between meetings of the Board and General Membership (RONR p. 485).

Hi i am apologizing now if I do or say somethng wrong. I am new to this. I belong to a group that is a 501c3 group. They are calling exe session every month with only the officers . is this illegal? I do know they ask certai people to these meetings and then they ambush them. They were told this is illegal by another 501c3 group. They tell us they are meeting to talk about finances and they dont allow anyone else on the board to be there. I have asked for the minutes from them and I still haven't recieved an answer,

None of this violates any rule in RONR. Whether it is in violation of applicable law is beyond the scope of this forum.

Archived