The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Emails to Chapter included in minutes

Guest CK Steger

In an email to the BOD he resigned as President. He listed the reasons, angrily accusing members of alleged offenses against him. The BOD had an emergency meeting and accepted his resignation. This was put in the minutes.

He got angry about that and sent an email to all members. He made additional derogatory comments about members, and said he'd "have nothing to do" with the club and would transfer his membership to another chapter.

I know minutes are to include actions, but isn't his email an action?

We want a formal record so we can present this to any chapter he attempts to join (rather than just gossiping about it).

Did my post expire? I haven't heard anything on a while.

I think that nothing you added caused anyone to change their advice.

Sending an e-mail may be an action on the part of someone, but it is not an action on the part of the body that is meeting, and therefore need not go into the minutes.

In an email to the BOD he resigned as President. He listed the reasons, angrily accusing members of alleged offenses against him. The BOD had an emergency meeting and accepted his resignation. This was put in the minutes.

He got angry about that and sent an email to all members. He made additional derogatory comments about members, and said he'd "have nothing to do" with the club and would transfer his membership to another chapter.

We want a formal record so we can present this to any chapter he attempts to join (rather than just gossiping about it).

Did my post expire? I haven't heard anything on a while.

I think that nothing you added caused anyone to change their advice.

Sending an e-mail may be an action on the part of someone, but it is not an action on the part of the body that is meeting, and therefore need not go into the minutes.

Guest Guest, I agree with Mr. Novosielski:  We have already answered your question.  The letter is correspondence, not action by the assembly that took place at a meeting. 

The letter, if the society wants to retain it, belongs in the organization's  records, which are usually retained by the secretary, not in the minutes.   It is no different from bank statements, committee reports, and other correspondence which the society receives.  The society can, by a majority vote, order that something be included in the minutes, but when you start doing this the minutes can become very, very long.  RONR, on pages 468-473, tells you what normally goes in the minutes and contains sample minutes.

Edited to add:  I assume Guest Guest is the same person as the original poster Guest C.K. Steger... or at least that they are in the same organization and talking about the same situation.

An e-mail is not an action in the parliamentary sense and should not ordinarily be included in the minutes, nonetheless, the assembly may order an e-mail to be included in the minutes if it wishes to do so. In these circumstances, I would not recommend it.

It is absolutely not proper to present this e-mail to any chapter the member attempts to join. If the member ultimately is disciplined, the only facts which can be disclosed is that he was removed from office and/or expelled from membership (assuming that either or both of these things occurred), and even this may be disclosed only to the extent that it is necessary to protect the society or other societies.

No other information can be disclosed. If you remove this person from office and/or expel him from membership, you can inform the other chapters of this, but you cannot tell them why. Doing so may land your society in legal trouble.

Ok. I understand about not including his comments in the minutes.

But what about his statement that he wanted to resign, and remain a member but not attend meetings. Doesn't the membership have the right to know this?

Our BOD meetings are open but because this one was held quickly we did not notify the membership. Otherwise several may have been there and heard his intentions. And all of my questions would be moot.

His resignation meant we had to appoint a new one.

His staying with the club did not make us do anything. It actually saved us from having to fill out paperwork.

But his not attending meetings or participating with club made us appoint (or rather reinstate) a member to take over a committee (the committee was not part of his duty as the Pres. We are a small group so he volunteered to take on these duties also)

Ok. I understand about not including his comments in the minutes.

But what about his statement that he wanted to resign, and remain a member but not attend meetings. Doesn't the membership have the right to know this?

Our BOD meetings are open but because this one was held quickly we did not notify the membership. Otherwise several may have been there and heard his intentions. And all of my questions would be moot.

As I answered previously, the recording of the acceptance of the resignation in the minutes will inform anyone who reads them that the president resigned.  Also the fact that he no longer shows up may indicate to all but the refractorially unobservant that he is no longer president.

If understand that the answers you are receiving are not those you would wish for, but asking repeatedly is unlikely to change the answers.

And we have always included bank balances, committee reports (in summary), and correspondences (thank you letters, requests for money or membership) in our minutes.

You are free to include whatever you like, if a majority agrees, but what we're telling you is the recommendation for the contents of the minutes as contained in RONR.  

You will probably achieve the best outcome by following RONR, but you are free to make your own mistakes.

No, the membership does not have a right to know this, but the board is free to disclose this information to the membership if it wishes. I would not advise disclosing this information outside of the society.

And we have always included bank balances, committee reports (in summary), and correspondences (thank you letters, requests for money or membership) in our minutes.

None of these things belong in the minutes.

Wonk,

I don't appreciate your rude comments. I obviously am unsure of what to do, and it's very unfair of you to make fun of my ignorance. Also, contrary to what you think, I don't care what the answer is.

I want to cover everything, which is why I continue to ask questions.

I don't understand why you think they are repetitive. I don't see them as that: Initially I asked about the email remarks. I added our consideration of disciplinary action. And then I asked about actions we had to take.

And I have not received a reply to the Committee Chair question. Perhaps the answer is the same, but I would like to have someone say it anyway.

"But his not attending meetings or participating with club made us appoint (or rather reinstate) a member to take over a committee (the committee was not part of his duty as the Pres. We are a small group so he volunteered to take on these duties also)"

We have never had this happen before. I realize I am being overly cautious; we want to address the situation the correct way. Unfortunately we do not have a Rules book, or are financially able to purchase one. So we have to rely on what other people suggest.

BTW, our club is extremely small, several members are elderly, and only about 1/3 of our members attend meetings. So no. His absence would not be obvious to "all but the refractorially unobservant".

Sorry I bothered you with my stupid questions. Apparently I misunderstood the purpose of a forum.

If he also has an unrelated committee chairmanship that he intends not to fulfill, he should resign from that as well.  If not, he should be removed (by whatever authority appointed him as chairman).

I never said the questions were stupid; only that in my view they had been asked and answered.

And I have not received a reply to the Committee Chair question. Perhaps the answer is the same, but I would like to have someone say it anyway.

"But his not attending meetings or participating with club made us appoint (or rather reinstate) a member to take over a committee (the committee was not part of his duty as the Pres. We are a small group so he volunteered to take on these duties also)"

I'd be happy to help, but I'm not sure what the question is.

BTW, our club is extremely small, several members are elderly, and only about 1/3 of our members attend meetings. So no. His absence would not be obvious to "all but the refractorially unobservant".

I think Mr. Novosielski's point is that the member's absence as President would be readily apparent.

The question is about wording in the minutes of him being removed as the Committee Chair. (He did not resign from the committee position, only from president position)

In "Old Business" I have written: Due to (name) resignation, (name) will resume the duties as (title)

In "New Business" I have written: He resigned, motion to accept, second, passed. He wants to remain a member but does not want to attend meetings or be involved in activities for several months.

Thanks for your input,

The question is about wording in the minutes of him being removed as the Committee Chair.

Well, what exactly happened in regards to that? Was a motion adopted to remove him from the position of committee chairman and appoint someone new to take his place? If so, that's what the minutes should record.

Archived