The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Succession after an election

Guest Jamie Whittaker

Guest Jamie Whittaker

After an election where the first vice president  is the newly elected president and there is a newly elected second vice president - Does the president resign officially and the newly elected 2nd vice president then becomes 1st vice president then the 2nd vp position is replaced. Or Does the succession take place prior to the official oath and succession making the just defeated 2nd vp move to first vp?  

The current 2nd vp ran for president instead of running for the 2nd vp position as incumbent.

The oath takes place the night before the first meeting of the new board.

Respectfully submitted

Jamie Whittaker

Right after an election, there is no need for any succession to take place.  Everyone just assumes the offices to which they were elected.

If any seats remain vacant at that point, you have an incomplete election.  The way you fill those seats is by completing the election process for the empty seats.

The succession of the 1VP to the presidency, and 2VP to 1VP, etc., happens when the presidency is vacated during the term.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the answer. So at 10 pm on Saturday night the oath is given and the new terms begin. At that time the 1st vp slot is vacant because that person moves to president (there is another year left on the 1st vp term). The bylaws require a succession of 2nd vp to 1st vp.  I am assuming the newly elected 2nd vp moves to 1st vp and that the 2nd vp will be replaced at the board meeting in the morning.

However, there is an excellent chance that the outgoing 2nd vp (just defeated in a bid for presidency) will say that he should move into the position.

I just don't know which is correct and it's a scenario that we will likely face in 6 weeks.

Who ends up in the 2nd vp slot? A newly elected/board appointed person? The executive positions are elected by the membership, not the board.

Jamie

I don't understand the question..... is there a vacancy in the office of president?   Why wasn't a new 1st VP elected?  Why weren't all three officers elected at the election?

I'm also confused. I think the terms are staggered so the office of 1st VP has another year to go. That's why one wasn't elected.

But since the 1st VP won the race for president, the office of 1st VP will become vacant in six weeks. That's when the newly elected 2nd VP (whose term of office apparently coincides with that of the president) will automatically become the 1st VP (unless the automatic succession is only triggered by a vacancy in the office of president . . . we've discussed that here before). The board will then, presumably, fill the vacancy in the office of 2nd VP.

Or not.

I apologize, I thought I included everything, but apparently not. Yes, the terms are staggered. This year the offices of president and 2nd vp were elected. The 1st vp term is not up until next year. This all takes place in a 12 hour period 6 weeks from now. The terms begin at the end of the annual meeting and the new board meets the next morning. The last time we had a similar circumstance the secretary was elected president. She resigned as secretary at the morning board meeting and the board appointed a new secretary for the 1 year remainder of that term.

This is the first time that this exact situation has happened. There is also a board meeting 3 days before the end of the term so the board could address the situation there. This is only an issue because there may be a protest from the outgoing 2nd vice president so it is important that we follow rules and not do anything that may seem personal.

T

Archived