The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Are new boards obligated to follow motions made by prior boards?

Guest Beverly

A motion was made by a previous board to set aside a certain amount of money from the budget each year for "emergency expenses" and the motion set the time period of "from now on".  Is the new board obligated to follow this practice or can they set their own guidelines for the new budget?  I thought I read in RNR that new boards can make their own decisions, but now I can't seem to find it.

Yes and Yes.  If you find that the motion that was previously moved on is no longer necessary or should be changed then use "Amend Something Previously Adopted"

I will edit this to say that if there was an action authorized by the adoption of the motion that has been completed then you will not be able to Amend Something Previously Adopted.  As Edgar Guest likes to say, "you can't unpaint the clubhouse".  However you are dealing with a budget, and your current budget has been adopted but you can Amend Something Previously Adopted regarding the "motion to set aside a certain amount of money", that amount could be changed and then presented in the new budget. 

A way to keep this straight (and perhaps explain it to your associates) is to point out that you don't have a "new" (or "old") board, but just the same board but with new members.  

The new members are free to make changes in what the old members adopted, but the board just continues along its merry way.  And, as noted, whatever the old members adopted  --  as the official decision(s) of the board  --  in the past hold until the current members make changes, most likely using the motion to amend something previously adopted - p. 305.

Archived