The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elected by Acclamation with Objection

Timothy

As required by the bylaws of a particular organization, the nominating committee nominated individuals to serve on a newly formed committee. The chair asked for additional nominations and after hearing none, the chair declared them elected by acclamation (ballot vote not required, etc.) as is allowed on page 443. Upon declaring them elected by acclamation, a gentleman objected to them being elected by acclamation. Based on what I know of the gentleman, I believe this is a case where he objected because he hasn't read page 443, not because he objected to election of any of the nominees. What should the chair do at this point?

Elections can't be canceled on the "objection" of a single member.

But, if the member believes a rule was broken, the member can certainly raise a Point of Order.  The chair should probably ask the objecting member if he is, in fact, raising a Point of Order, and if so, on what basis.  There is no need to guess why, since someone raising a point of order must say what they believe the violation to be.

If, for example the bylaws state that election shall be held by ballot vote, then the member's point would be well-taken, as that language would prohibit election by acclamation.   

But if there's no rule against it, the chair can rule* that the point is not well-taken.

* subject to appeal by the assembly.

As required by the bylaws of a particular organization, the nominating committee nominated individuals to serve on a newly formed committee. The chair asked for additional nominations and after hearing none, the chair declared them elected by acclamation (ballot vote not required, etc.) as is allowed on page 443. Upon declaring them elected by acclamation, a gentleman objected to them being elected by acclamation. Based on what I know of the gentleman, I believe this is a case where he objected because he hasn't read page 443, not because he objected to election of any of the nominees. What should the chair do at this point?

The chairman should ask the gentleman whether it is his intention to move that nominations be reopened. If he responds that it is, the chair should put the question on that motion. If he responds that it is not, the chair should proceed to declare the candidates elected by acclamation.

Archived