The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rights of Non-Voting Members

Guest Susan Owen

I have two questions relating to the non-voting members of our Representative Council.  Our Bylaws state:

Section 7.2:Members of the Representative Council. The voting members of the RC shall be the elected Presidents and Vice-Presidents of each National Association. Each member shall have one vote. All voting members of the RC shall have equal standing with no special authority. The President and Vice-President of a Local Association in a country in which there is no National Association may participate in the RC as non-voting members.

1.  Does the above wording give Local Association Presidents and VPs the right to participate in discussion/debate of resolutions/motions?

2.  Does the above wording give Local Association Presidents and VPs the right to bring a resolution/motion before the assembly even thought they cannot vote on it?

I think most here would say that if only one of the rights of membership is removed (e.g. the right to vote), all other rights of membership remain (e.g. the right to attend meetings, make motions, and speak in debate).

I think those who would argue otherwise would have to explain what is meant by the word "participate" in the bylaws.

Well, I think saying they could "participate" (but not vote) is clear enough.  Good thing it didn't just say they could "attend." 

I agree with Gary.  The fact that non voting members can participate but not vote seems to me to mean that they have all the rights of membership except for the right to vote.  I would probably be of that opinion even if the statement wasn't as strong, but the language used cinches it for me.  But, since we aren't members of Guest Susan's organization and don't get to vote, I guess It's ultimately up to her organization to make that interpretation.

Archived