The Official RONR Q & A Forums

resignations of directors

Guest tigger

When 3 executives of a board of directors resign and walk out of a meeting what options do we have.Our bylaws state that we can fill interim directors between annual general meetings.and then be ratified at the next general meeting. If the Treasurer refuses

to turn over the files to the interim director, is she within her rights.  Keeping in fact that there cannot be pay any bills

or outstanding bills that have to be paid.

The executive that resigned  where the pres.&1stVP and the Treasurer.  The Treasurer is refusing to transfer

files to help set up the new executive.   Where do we stand.  She is saying that we have 30 days in which these transfers

can take place. Our bylaws do not say anything about this.  In the meantime we have to try and carry on business.

There have been people who have stepped up to the plate to cover these positions as per our bylaw.  What is our

position?

As far as RONR is concerned there isn't much that can be done beyond the assembly ordering the (previous) Treasurer turn over the books and taking disciplinary action against her if she refuses to comply (check your bylaws for your options).  If you all want to press the issue you could go to the police and make a complaint that this person is in possession of property that she is no longer authorized to have and is refusing to return it.

Nothing in RONR authorizes the treasurer or any other officer to refuse to turn over organization property upon leaving office.  However, if the treasurer's resignation has not yet been accepted, she might argue that despite having verbally resigned and walked out during a meeting, she is still treasurer until her resignation is accepted or until the organization has had a reasonable opportunity to accept it.

There is no "30 day rule" in RONR about this sort of thing.

Edited to correct the first sentence so that it says what I meant for it to say. 

Nothing in RONR authorizes the treasurer or any other officer to turn over organization property upon leaving office.

Wait, what? Is this a not-hole problem?

Oh, Jeez!!!   I don't believe I said that!   Maybe it being 12:14 am had something to do with it.  Thanks for catching it.

I obviously meant to say that "nothing in RONR authorizes the treasurer to REFUSE to turn over organization property  upon leaving office."   Sheesh.  Thanks again.

Archived