The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Trustee Temporary Leave of Absence

sherylr

And there's nothing in RONR.

The trustee is either a member of the board or she (or he) isn't. And she's either present at meetings or she's not.

If the year she'll be absent is at all close to the last year of the term I think she should probably resign.

If it's a very small board with short terms of office (e.g. three years or less) I think she should probably resign.

But that's just me.

If the board member is unable to fulfill their duties they ought to resign to allow someone who can to take their place. Some organizations have rules about being required to attend some number of meetings or not missing two meeting in a row, etc. for a member to retain a board position. If there is no such rule, it would be possible for the board member to just not show up at meetings. Special approval for a leave of absence would not be required and wouldn't make sense unless the bylaws say something about it.

It's the last year of her 3 year term and she wants to be able to come back and finish it off. The bylaws state that a Board member must attend 75% of meetings.

Well, if she misses the last year out of a three-year term she'll have only attended two-thirds (66%) of the meetings.

But you won't know that until the third year at which point it will be too late to remove her from office.

In any event, this is something for your organization to figure out.

Does anyone know if a Board member can take a one year leave of absence and come back to complete the end of their term? There is nothing in the bylaws.

Look to the Legislated Act. It will determine the attendance needed and if leave can be granted by a vote of the rest of the Board. I am assuming the Trustee is elected and may be a School Board Trustee that would be covered by an Act. ie The Education Act in Ontario, Canada

Look to the Legislated Act. It will determine the attendance needed and if leave can be granted by a vote of the rest of the Board. I am assuming the Trustee is elected and may be a School Board Trustee that would be covered by an Act. ie The Education Act in Ontario, Canada

That's a really huge assumption that doesn't seem to have any basis in what's been posted.

Archived