The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Help me understand [motion to Amend]

Nan_P2950

And for a list of motions that are amendable but not debatable, see page 43 in the tinted pages at the back of the book.

By the way, I'd be curious to hear why you found the third sentence any more difficult to understand than the first: "[The subsidiary motion to Amend:] Is debatable whenever the motion to which it is applied is debatable. Such debate must be confined to the desirability of the amendment, however, and must not extend to the merits of the motion to be amended, except as may be necessary to determine whether the amendment is advisable. Amend is undebatable whenever the motion to be amended is undebatable."

And for a list of motions that are amendable but not debatable, see page 43 in the tinted pages at the back of the book.

By the way, I'd be curious to hear why you found the third sentence any more difficult to understand than the first: "[The subsidiary motion to Amend:] Is debatable whenever the motion to which it is applied is debatable. Such debate must be confined to the desirability of the amendment, however, and must not extend to the merits of the motion to be amended, except as may be necessary to determine whether the amendment is advisable. Amend is undebatable whenever the motion to be amended is undebatable."

I didn't.  I read the first sentence and then read the third.  I thought, well, that's confusing!  Is it or isn't it?  

I get that not all motions are debatable, and not all motions are amendable.  When I asked for help, 1stChurch replied... that's when I had a DUH! moment.

Correct me if I'm wrong...   Not all motions are debatable, and some are amendable...  When you make a motion to amend on (an undebatable) motion, the amendment is also undebatable, yes?

Archived