The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Help- what to do when a motion and vote was unnecessary?

CathyH

At our recent club board meeting a motion was made and a vote approved  a former member to rejoin the club. There is a bylaw that specifically

states the criteria for rejoining and the former member met that criteria. There should have been no need for an approval since the member could

not be denied. No one objected to the motion and it is now in the minutes for that meeting. Can this be corrected at the next board meeting? can

an addendum be made to the original minutes to reflect this? How can it be corrected?

Obviously she shouldn't touch the minutes. but how can CathyH turn this into a teachable moment so that they don't do something crazy next time - like denying someone the right to rejoin who meets the criteria?

Good question.  I think the fact that a motion was not necessary needs to end up in the minutes somehow.  I can think of 3 ways to do it (none of which would be exactly artful):

1) When the minutes are up for approval CathyH could point out a motion was not necessary and not proper because the former member had met the criteria to rejoin and offer a correction to note that fact in the minutes.  However, adding that sort of information to the minutes is probably not the best idea.

2) Someone could make a motion concerning the situation and it would end up in the minutes.  However, the members would need to be careful as to the wording so it isn't in effect saying "We are affirming we will follow our own rules."  Or.

3) CathyH could raise a Point of Order that the motion approving this person's membership is null and void because the former member had met the (bylaw mandated) criteria to rejoin thus a motion and vote were improper because he is already a member [RONR p. 251(a)].  However, this probably would confuse almost everyone.

Good question.  I think the fact that a motion was not necessary needs to end up in the minutes somehow. 

Hmmm.  I'm having a bit of trouble believing that anything should be changed, although the assembly most certainly has the right to have the minutes reflect whatever the society wants.  I'm anxious to see what others have to say.

Good question.  I think the fact that a motion was not necessary needs to end up in the minutes somehow.  I can think of 3 ways to do it (none of which would be exactly artful):

1) When the minutes are up for approval CathyH could point out a motion was not necessary and not proper because the former member had met the criteria to rejoin and offer a correction to note that fact in the minutes.  However, adding that sort of information to the minutes is probably not the best idea.

2) Someone could make a motion concerning the situation and it would end up in the minutes.  However, the members would need to be careful as to the wording so it isn't in effect saying "We are affirming we will follow our own rules."  Or.

3) CathyH could raise a Point of Order that the motion approving this person's membership is null and void because the former member had met the (bylaw mandated) criteria to rejoin thus a motion and vote were improper because he is already a member [RONR p. 251(a)].  However, this probably would confuse almost everyone.

I don't know that anything so formal is needed or that anything needs to be in the minutes. It seems to me that Cathy should simply inform the members (and especially the chair) that, for future reference, such motions are unnecessary.

Archived