The Official RONR Q & A Forums

committee motions

Guest paul

Does Roberts advise that Motions passed in a Standing Committee, eg Finance, be repeated when the Committee reports to the Board? And what pages in RONR11? A more specific example: Our Finance committee passed a motion to increase funding on an item described in our Budget and passed it. This motion did not appear in the Report submitted to the Board but the Budget, as amended, did and was passed. Thanks in advance, Paul 

It isn't clear to me what you mean by that. If the Finance committee has the task of recommending a budget, it may well be that as they are developing that recommendation there will be a number of motions, none of which are repeated to the board, but the budget proposal that results from those motions would be. But if the budget has already been adopted and the Finance committee sees a need to change it, there would be a motion to recommend whatever change that is, and then the report would include that recommendation.

"If a standing committee wishes on its own initiative to recommend action by the assembly on a matter within the committee's concern, it is generally desirable, as stated above, for the report to consist of or conclude with one or more proposed resolutions embodying the committee's recommendations." (RONR 11th ed., p. 514, ll. 14-19)

Yes it should repeat motions passed? What specific page and line numbers? I cannot find

I don't think the answer is clear without additional facts. Did the committee propose the budget in its entirety, on its own initiative? Is the committee considering a budget which was referred to it? Is the committee proposing an amendment to a budget which had already been adopted?

Archived