The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Dual Roles -- Committee Member and Board Member

JayW

I am a member of our Board, and also a member of our Bylaws Committee. The Committee is proposing some Bylaws revisions; I do not agree with one of them. (Well, actually it's a lack of a revision where I believe there should be one.) As a member of the Committee, I will let the majority rule and the Committee report will not include my proposed revision, and nor will I protest when the report is given. The Committee reports to the Board; when the matter is up for discussion, as a Board member I intend to present my proposed revision (which I have been requested to do by several Club members). I have been told, however, that "Although every committee member is entitled to his or her personal opinion, the revisions presented to the board are the recommendation of the majority of the committee.  If a committee member disagrees with the recommendation of the majority, he or she may resign his or her committee membership in order to express any personal views differing from the committee's recommendation."

I'm not entirely sure that's correct (especially since the Committee recommendations will eventually be sent to the general membership, to which I also belong, for input) . If I wasn't a member of the Board, I can certainly see that I wouldn't have the right to attend a Board meeting and disagree with the Committee recommendations. My role as a Board member, however, is separate from my role as a Committee member, and I can't see how the Committee Chairperson is able dictate what I can and cannot say as a Board member.

Am I right, or do I have to give up my Committee membership in order to participate fully in the discussion as a Board member?

I am a member of our Board, and also a member of our Bylaws Committee. The Committee is proposing some Bylaws revisions; I do not agree with one of them. (Well, actually it's a lack of a revision where I believe there should be one.) As a member of the Committee, I will let the majority rule and the Committee report will not include my proposed revision, and nor will I protest when the report is given. The Committee reports to the Board; when the matter is up for discussion, as a Board member I intend to present my proposed revision (which I have been requested to do by several Club members). I have been told, however, that "Although every committee member is entitled to his or her personal opinion, the revisions presented to the board are the recommendation of the majority of the committee.  If a committee member disagrees with the recommendation of the majority, he or she may resign his or her committee membership in order to express any personal views differing from the committee's recommendation."

I'm not entirely sure that's correct (especially since the Committee recommendations will eventually be sent to the general membership, to which I also belong, for input) . If I wasn't a member of the Board, I can certainly see that I wouldn't have the right to attend a Board meeting and disagree with the Committee recommendations. My role as a Board member, however, is separate from my role as a Committee member, and I can't see how the Committee Chairperson is able dictate what I can and cannot say as a Board member.

Am I right, or do I have to give up my Committee membership in order to participate fully in the discussion as a Board member?

You have it right. There is nothing in RONR which suggests that a committee member must resign from the committee in order to express his own views.

When the committee voted on what to recommend to the board, you voted in your capacity as a committee member, and were in the minority. The report to the board should properly reflect the view of the majority of the committee.

When the committee reports its recommendation to the board, you are there in your capacity as a board member, and are free to debate, move to amend, and so on, with as much freedom as any other board member.   You may not refer to deliberations that took place within the committee, but you are free to make those same arguments, if appropriate, to the full board.

Archived