The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amemdment to a motion

Guest Doug

We are having a debate I would appreciate your input.

We had a motion & a second on the floor to "give $1,000 to the family of a deceased member" During the discussion another member wanted to amend the motion to be "give money being collected by passing the hat would be matched by our general fund & both the money in the hat & the matching funds would be given to the family of the deceased member"

I started to restate the amendment to the motion & ask for a second when one of our members said "point of order the person making the original motion must approve the amendment to the motion before it can be discussed or voted on".

I can not find anywhere in RROF where it stated that an amendment to a motion needs to be approved by the person making the motion.

I saw in the FAQ #8 & forwards it to the person who brought that up. They said that I was wrong & what they did was correct.

I am new at this & do not want to get myself or my organization into any trouble.

If it states somewhere in RROF that the amendment needs to be approved by the originator of the motion please let me know where it is.

If it states somewhere in RROF that the amendment needs to be approved by the originator of the motion please let me know where it is.

No, you were correct. Once the motion has been made and seconded and stated by the chair, the motion belongs to the assembly and the person who originally made the motion has no control over it.  His consent is not needed for amendments.

There is no such rule, but I have seen people who have wanted to do this in practice, so someone may have assumed it was required. It is usually along the lines of someone suggesting an amendment and then saying something like, "If the motion and second would be okay with that..." In most cases, it is something that no one is opposed to and the only real harm is that it confuses people about what is required to amend a motion.

Archived