The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Jessica Feeley

Guest Jessica Feeley

It is the policy of our organization ( officially it's a "committee") that since we are a very small group with a small checking account that individual expenses for mileage expense are not reimbursed.

I am the Treasurer and the Chair notifies me that one individual who attended specialty training was to be reimbursed for her travel to this event.  I refused as the expense had not been approved by the committee or even in an Executive Session.

The Chair informed me via e-mail that "the next time that you have reservations about an expenditure that I have authorized to take it up at the next meeting."

I consulted out state-level rules committee and was informed that I am correct.  Unfortunately, I cannot find the citation.

Thank you for your assistance.

The Chair informed me via e-mail that "the next time that you have reservations about an expenditure that I have authorized to take it up at the next meeting."

Nothing in RONR gives the president (or "chair") the authority to act in violation of an organization's rules and policies.

Given the facts as stated, it appears you acted responsibly as treasurer. In any event, you can hash it all out at the next meeting.

Nothing in RONR gives the president (or "chair") the authority to act in violation of an organization's rules and policies.

Given the facts as stated, it appears you acted responsibly as treasurer. In any event, you can hash it all out at the next meeting.

And since the assembly has the final word, at the next meeting the assembly can decide whether to reimburse you guest Jessica for the expense.

. . . the assembly can decide whether to reimburse you guest Jessica for the expense.

. . . the reimbursement would be for the member who incurred the expense, not for Jessica.

Well, I'm not sure the assembly could authorize reimbursement for travel expenses if it's the organization's policy not to do so.

Not without amending the policy.

Well, I'm not sure the assembly could authorize reimbursement for travel expenses if it's the organization's policy not to do so.

Not without amending the policy.

Well, I'm not at all convinced that it's a written policy.  I suspect it is custom.  If it's custom, then the assembly could still decide, by majority vote, to pay the expense.  Page 19, lines 6-9.   If it's a written policy, it may be necessary to amend the rule, since it would probably be in the nature of a standing rule having application outside of a meeting.  Page 18 lines 23-25.

Archived