The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approval of minutes of the last meeting

Guest Goyo

The short answer is "yes".

The slightly longer answer is that there's no need to make a motion to approve the minutes (mainly because not approving them is not an option). But a member who wasn't present at the meeting in question is perfectly free to suggest a correction prior to approval. Our favorite example is when the minutes record that the absent member made a motion.

• 2 years later...
On 6/27/2015 at 3:22 PM, Guest Goyo said:

Can someone who did not attend the last meeting, motion to approve the minutes of the last meeting or even second the motion?

Does this also apply to a newly elected board member, who was not on the board at the previous meeting?

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

What Professor Mervosh quoted applies to anyone who is a member at the time the minutes are read and approved. To reinforce the point, there should not be a motion "to approve the minutes." The chair simply announces they are approved when no more corrections are offered.

12 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

What Professor Mervosh quoted applies to anyone who is a member at the time the minutes are read and approved. To reinforce the point, there should not be a motion "to approve the minutes." The chair simply announces they are approved when no more corrections are offered.

I'm a professor now?  Want to award me a doctorate as well?  :)

12 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

I'm a professor now?  Want to award me a doctorate as well?  :)

14 hours ago, Guest Caroline said:

Does this also apply to a newly elected board member, who was not on the board at the previous meeting?

It applies to anyone who is a member at the time of approval.

It should be noted that approval of minutes does not require a motion, nor a vote as long as there are no disputed corrections.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.